FREEDOM OF INFORMATION LAW ("FOIL")
Article 6 of the New York Public Officers Law (sections 84-90), which is also known as the Freedom of Information Law ("FOIL"), gives members of the public a right of access to government records, with certain exceptions that are enumerated in Section 87(2). The full text of FOIL and other information about the law is available at the website of the New York State Committee on Open Government. In accordance with Section 89(3)(b) of FOIL, Nassau County affords you the opportunity to submit records access requests by email by completing the relevant portions of the below electronic form and directing it to the Nassau County agency that is the custodian of the requested records.
Please select a department to send your request to:
TO THE AGENCY RECORDS ACCESS OFFICER:
- Request to Inspect Records
I hereby apply to inspect the following records under the provisions of the Freedom of Information Law. Please advise me of the appropriate time during normal business hours for inspecting the following records prior to obtaining copies (include as much detail about the records as you can, including relevant dates, names, descriptions, etc.):
- Request to Obtain Electronic Records
(1) Please email the following records if possible [include as much detail about the record as you can, such as relevant dates, names, descriptions, etc.]:
(2) If the requested records cannot be emailed to me due to the volume of records identified in response to my request, please advise me by email of the actual cost of copying all records onto a CD or floppy disk.
- Request to Obtain Paper Records
(1) I request paper copies of the following records [include as much detail about the record as possible, such as relevant dates, names, descriptions, etc.; if you request paper copies only if electronic records are not available, please so indicate]:
(2). If the cost of reproducing copies of the records does not exceed $
, I agree to promptly pay the established copying fee ($0.25 per page for copies not exceeding 9 by 14 inches and actual cost of reproduction for other copies). If the cost exceeds the specified amount, please promptly notify me by email of the total cost of copying the requested records.
Does your FOIL request relate to a pending
claim or litigation?:
If Yes, please indicate:
- The name of the Claimant(s):
- The Index Number and/or Nassau County File #:
* = required fields
Terms and Conditions Relating to Requests for Lists of Names and Addresses
Under the Freedom of Information Law, government agencies are permitted to require persons requesting lists of names and/or addresses to provide a certification that they will not use such lists for solicitation or fund-raising purposes, and will not make the lists available to any other person for the purpose of allowing the other person to use the lists for solicitation or fund-raising purposes. By checking the box at the end of this paragraph, I am certifying that I will not use such lists for solicitation or fund-raising purposes, and will not make the lists available to any other person for the purpose of allowing the other person to use lists for solicitation or fund-raising purposes.
My certification that I agree to the terms and conditions above, regarding my request to obtain and/or inspect paper and/or electronic records