City, Town & Village Governments
New York State Government
U.S. Government


Breadcrumb Start you are here >Home/

Physically Disabled Tax Reduction Program

As authorized by Section 459 of the Real Property Tax Law, Nassau County, it's three towns, two cities and some of the sixty-two school districts have enacted a local law or adopted a resolution granting a real property tax exemption for the physically disabled who meet the criteria. The exemption applies only to taxes levied by or on behalf of the county, town or school district granting the exemption.. The exemption does not apply to special district taxes.

Criteria For The Exemption

The real property tax exemption granted is equal to the amount of any increase in value of property attributable to improvements made for the purpose of facilitating and accommodating the use and accessibility of the property by (a) a resident owner of the property who is physically disabled or (b) a member of the resident owner's household who is physically disabled, if the member of the household resides on the property. The local law or resolution may provide that the exemption will apply to improvements constructed prior to the effective date of the local law or resolution.

How Do You Qualify?

To be eligible for this exemption the modifications to the property must qualify including improvements that serve to facilitate the use and accessibility of such property by physically disabled residents. The property must be a one-, two-, or three-family residence.

How To Apply

CLICK HERE to download an application form

-or- Request an application from the:

Handicapped/Veteran Exemption Division
Nassau County Board of Assessors

240 Old Country Road
Mineola, New York 11501
Telephone: (516) 571-1500

When To Apply

IMPORTANT: Applications are accepted throughout the year and must be filed by January 2.

Residents of incorporated villages and cities that have adopted this exemption must file with the city or village, as well as with Nassau County, in order to receive full benefits. Contact your local village or city assessor for more information.