City, Town & Village Governments
New York State Government
U.S. Government

Living and Working

Breadcrumb Start you are here >Home/Health Benefits

Covering your spouse

Q: I am getting married and would like to know if my spouse will be eligible for coverage?

A: Yes. If you are an active employee, contact your department’s Human Resources Representative in advance of the wedding to apply for family coverage in order to minimize your waiting period. If you are a retiree, vestee or on COBRA, contact the Comptroller’s Office Health Benefits Unit in advance of your wedding to apply for family coverage.
The effective date of the coverage for your spouse is determined by NYSHIP rules (see section on Effective Date of Coverage).
Once you are married you must provide a copy of your marriage certificate and a copy of your spouse’s social security card to your department’s Human Resources Representative, or the Comptroller’s Health Benefits Unit.
If you have been married for more than a year additional documents are required and waiting periods may apply. Speak with your department’s HR representative for more information.

Q: What if my spouse also works for the County?

A: The County offers one family insurance plan and one Buyback to couples where both spouses work for the County, the College, or are retirees of the County. This program, called “Smart Savings,” is described in the Smart Savings section of these FAQ’s.