City, Town & Village Governments
New York State Government
U.S. Government

Living and Working

Breadcrumb Start you are here >Home/Health Benefits

Questions About Dental Insurance For County Employees: Healthplex

Q: Does the County offer dental insurance to anyone except employees?
A: No, although dental coverage is available upon separation from the County through COBRA.

Q: What is the Healthplex reimbursement dental care option?
A: Healthplex reimbursement allows you and your eligible dependents to use the services of any dentist you wish.

Q: How do I get reimbursed from Healthplex for these services?
A: You must submit a dental claim form to Healthplex. Dental reimbursement claim forms may be obtained from your department’s Human Resources Representative or can be downloaded by clicking here.

Q: What is the comprehensive dental care option?
A: Comprehensive dental care allows you to select a dentist from a panel of dentists. The dentist provides all necessary care.

Q: Will the dentist charge a fee if I select the comprehensive option?
A: For many dental services, such as x-rays, fillings, or prophylaxis, there is no fee. For other dental services, there may be a pre-determined charge that the enrollee is required to pay.

Q: How can I change my dentist?
A: If you have chosen comprehensive coverage, you can change your dentist by calling Healthplex directly at 1(800) 468-0600.

Q: I continued my dental coverage through COBRA. Why does Healthplex say that I am not in the system?
A: If Healthplex records your payment as late, they will say that you are not in the system. As a practical matter, try to make sure to send your payment to the Comptroller's Office by the 10th day of the month prior to the month for which you would like to receive coverage (i.e. send payment by April 10th for May coverage).

Q: Is it possible to switch from the comprehensive coverage to the reimbursement dental plan and vice-versa?
A: Yes, it is possible to change from one plan to another during the Open Enrollment Period. An Option Change Enrollment Form must be obtained from, completed, and returned to your department’s Human Resources Representative. The change will be effective as of January 1 of the coming year.