December 2013 (updated: May 2014)
Office of the Nassau County Comptroller
Accounting System Specialist
The Nassau County Comptroller, an independently elected official, seeks an Accounting System Specialist. The Accounting System Specialist performs work in coordinating, devising and implementing accounting systems compatible with information technology requirements and governmental accounting standards, has responsibility for managing the security and support functions associated with the County’s financial system, assists County personnel with the application of governmental accounting, and performs related duties as required.
- providing daily guidance to department personnel regarding methods, principles and practices of governmental accounting, and the access and use of the County’s financial systems to achieve the correct accounting;
- researching and reviewing accounting entries to ensure they comply with accepted governmental accounting standards;
- reviewing operations, methods, and procedures regarding the use of accounting systems;
- acting as liaison with Department of Information Technology;
- devising programs and reporting as required by accountants;
- directing the development, installation, and maintenance of departmental systems, and recommending system modifications; and
- performing other tasks as required by the County Comptroller, the County Director of Accounting, and the Deputy County Director of Accounting.
- Bachelor’s degree with a major in Accounting from a regionally accredited college or university, including or supplemented by three courses (nine credits) in the computer field
- Five years of satisfactory experience working with computerized accounting systems.
- Professional accounting experience, with considerable knowledge of accounting principles, methods and their application (governmental accounting experience preferred).
- Strong computer, interpersonal and written/oral communication skills are a must. Candidate must have the ability to work with a diverse workforce.
- Candidate must have proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Nassau County Residency is required.
Appointment to this position is provisional and subject to Civil Service Rules and Regulations. This position requires that the candidate take a Civil Service examination, achieve a passing grade, and be reachable for appointment. Minimum six-month probationary period follows appointment to position prior to achieving permanent status. Salary starts at $50,150.
Email resume to: ComptrollerAccounting@nassaucountyny.gov
Indicate “Accounting System Specialist” in the subject line to ensure correct delivery.
Nassau County is an Equal Opportunity Employer