Mangano Issues Nor’easter Storm Alert
With high wind gusts and widespread to moderate coastal flooding expected from a Nor’easter approaching Long Island, Nassau County Executive Edward P. Mangano reminds residents that an Evacuation Order remains in effect for all residents living in a flood or storm surge zone.
Residents should implement their Friends and Family Sheltering Plan as staying in homes on higher ground will provide the most comfortable situation during the storm. The following public shelters are open:
- Nassau County Community College (includes a Special Needs Shelter) – P Building – located at 1 Education Drive in Garden City East;
- Levittown Memorial High School – located at 150 Abbey Lane in Levittown; and a
- Pet Shelter – located at 241 Miller Avenue in Garden City.
Additional shelters will open tomorrow at 8:00 a.m., including:
- Plainview-Old Bethpage Middle School – 121 Central Park Road in Plainview
- Farmingdale High School – 150 Lincoln Street
- Glen Cove High School – 150 Dosoris Lane
- New Hyde Park High School - 500 Leonard Blvd.
- North Shore Temple - 83 Muttontown Road in Syosset
All residents throughout Nassau County are reminded to tie down and secure all items outside their homes, as flying debris can be deadly. Additionally, debris removal teams have been dispatched to increase removal.
All non-life threatening emergencies should be directed to the County’s Non-Emergency Hotline at 1-888-684-4274. Residents should only contact 911 if there is a life-threatening emergency.
To learn more about storm preparation, including assembling an Emergency Go-Kit, residents are encouraged to visit www.nassaucountyny.gov/hurricane.
For more information on storm recovery, please visit www.nassaucountyny.gov/hurricane or follow Ed Mangano on Facebook and Twitter.
Non-Emergency Hotline 1-888-684-4274