The County of Nassau is seeking candidates for the part-time position of Cook I.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
Performs various cooking and food preparation tasks in an institutional kitchen; performs related duties as required.
COMPLEXITY OF DUTIES
Under general supervision, the duties require
the exercise of judgment in cooking and food preparation.
- Prepares and cooks meats, vegetables, soups, gravies, potatoes, and other foods.
- Gives general directions to food service workers in preparation of simple foods and general cleaning activities.
- Performs cleaning activities in the care and maintenance of equipment and work areas.
- Assists in assuring proper storage of food and supplies.
- Replaces a cook of higher level on a relief basis.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the materials, methods, and equipment used in institutional cooking and food preparation.
- Knowledge of the principles of dietetics and nutrition.
- Ability to apply established safety and sanitation precautions and regulations.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to read, comprehend, and follow standardized recipes.
Graduation from high school
Two years of satisfactory food preparation and cooking experience in an institution or commercial establishment.
NOTE: Experience, as outlined above, in excess of the two-year requirement, may be substituted for high school education on a year-for-year basis, up to a maximum of two years.
For consideration, please send resume and cover letter to:
firstname.lastname@example.org, with “CI” on subject line.
Nassau County Residency Required.
PERSONNEL CHOSEN FOR MERIT AND FITNESS WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE, RELIGION, SEX, AGE, NATIONAL ORIGIN, DISABILITY, MARITAL STATUS OR ANY OTHER NON-MERIT FACTOR