At a formal hearing, the proceedings are conducted
by three of the Commission's Commissioners. All parties
are allowed to present testimony and cross examine
witnesses. Testimony is taken under oath and the proceedings
Following a formal hearing, the Commission issues
a determination based on evidence revealed at the hearing.
This finding may be one of the following:
- No Probable Cause to believe that the Respondent
engaged in an unlawful discriminatory practice. The
case is closed.
- An Order After Hearing may be issued requiring
the Respondent to discontinue the unlawful discriminatory
practice and to take whatever action is required
to correct the unlawful practice.
The Commission may at its discretion, monitor compliance
with the Conciliation Agreement or the Order After
Hearing for a period of one year after the effective
The Commission may at its discretion elect
to accept a formal complaint under the aegis of New
York State Division of Human Rights where the two
agencies have concurrent jurisdiction. If a complaint
is accepted under the New York State jurisdiction,
the Nassau County Commission on Human Rights will:
- Accept a notarized complaint on New York State
Division of Human Rights form.
- Submit an interrogatory to the Respondent.
- Review data received from Respondent with the Complainant.
- Attempt to resolve the complaint informally before
proceeding to a conference.
- Convene a one party conference.
- Convene a two party conference at which the Complainant
and the Respondent present their evidence.
- Analyze the data received at the conference and
in the record and forward the case to the New York
State Division of Human Rights for a determination.
It is the policy of the Commission to process cases
as expeditiously as possible. However, the amount of
time required to complete the Commission's procedures
varies according to the complexity of the case and
the number of cases pending with the Commission at
a particular time.
The Commission accepts informal complaints by letter,
telephone, or in person. The Commission's office is
open from 9:00 AM - 4:45 PM, Monday through Friday.