August 11, 2010
Second Human Case of West Nile Virus Verified in Nassau County in 2010
Nassau County Department of Health is reporting the second case of West Nile virus (WNV) in a Nassau County resident this year.
The individual is a 74-year old female from Massapequa Park who became ill on July 28th with symptoms of fever and altered mental status. She was hospitalized on July 29th, discharged on August 5th and is recovering at home.
To date, forty nine (49) mosquito pools have tested positive for West Nile virus in Nassau County this year. Nassau County Department of Public Works has begun ground and aerial spraying throughout the County to help control mosquitoes which may be carrying the West Nile virus. Mosquito surveillance will continue at 42 trap sites located throughout the County.
Because West Nile virus is present throughout New York State and beyond, residents are urged to continue to take the following precautions for safety and protection:
- Remove or empty standing water from children’s outdoor toys, flower pots, garbage cans, pails, old tires, or any object that can hold water.
- Make sure roof gutters drain properly; clean clogged gutters in the spring and fall.
- Keep swimming pools chlorinated and their covers free of stagnant water.
- Change the water in birdbaths every two or three days.
- Install window and door screens and keep them in good repair.
- Consider wearing long sleeves, pants, socks and mosquito repellent (according to directions) if outdoors when mosquitoes are active, especially in the late afternoon and evening hours.
- Decorative ponds and water features should be circulated or chlorinated if they do not contain fish to prevent mosquito breeding.
For mosquito, stagnant water, or drainage problems, call the Nassau County Department of Public Works at: (516) 572-1166, weekdays from 7:45 am to 3:30 pm.
For additional information on West Nile virus activity, call the West Nile Virus Spray Hotline at 1-888-844-8657 or visit the Nassau County Department of Health website at http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agencies/Health/index.html