August 22, 2012
First Human Case of West Nile Virus Confirmed in Nassau County in 2012
Health Department reminds residents to take precautions against mosquitoes
Uniondale, NY - Nassau County Department of Health is reporting the first confirmed case of West Nile virus (WNV) in a Nassau County resident this year.
The individual is an adult female over the age of 70 who resides in the Town of Oyster Bay. She became ill with symptoms consistent with West Nile virus on July 27th, was hospitalized and is now recovering.
To date, fifty-eight (58) mosquito pools have tested positive for West Nile virus in Nassau County this year. Nassau County Departments of Health and Public Works will continue their mosquito control efforts by inspecting breeding sites and, when indicated, conducting localized ground treatment to control mosquitoes that may be carrying West Nile virus. Mosquito surveillance will continue at 42 trap sites located throughout the County.
Nassau County Department of Health offers the following tips to help eliminate mosquito breeding and prevent the spread of mosquito-borne diseases such as West Nile virus:
- Remove or empty standing water from children’s outdoor toys, flower pots, garbage cans, pails, or any object that can hold water.
- Make sure roof gutters drain properly.
- Keep swimming pools chlorinated and their covers free of stagnant water.
- Change the water in birdbaths every two or three days.
- Install window and door screens and keep them in good repair.
- Consider wearing long sleeves, pants, socks and mosquito repellent (according to directions) if outdoors when mosquitoes are active, especially in the late afternoon and evening hours.
- Decorative ponds and water features should be circulated or chlorinated if they do not contain fish to prevent mosquito breeding.
For mosquito, stagnant water, or drainage problems, call the Nassau County Department of Public Works at: (516) 571-6900. Additional West Nile virus information may be found on the Nassau County Department of Health website at http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agencies/Health/index.html