October 23, 2009
HALLOWEEN SAFETY TIPS
Halloween brings jack-o-lanterns, whimsical costumes, and visits from young neighbors in disguise. The Nassau County Department of Health offers these Halloween safety tips to help keep this holiday safe and enjoyable.
- If a child wants a carved jack-o-lantern, let an adult do the carving, or let the child use a knife especially designed for use by young children.
- Use a small flashlight inside a pumpkin instead of a candle which may pose a fire hazard.
- If a candle is used, light it only for short periods and keep it away from unsupervised youngsters as well as flammable furnishings.
- In choosing costumes, keep safety in mind. Trick-or-treaters need to see and be seen.
- If a mask is part of a costume, make sure it will not slip and cover the eyes. The eyeholes should be large enough to see through clearly.
- Consider using face paints or cosmetics to create an original "mask".
- Hats and scarves should also be tied firmly, so that they do not restrict vision.
- Select light colored costumes.
- Attach reflective tape or stickers to costumes or footwear and to Halloween treat bags so that they can be seen more easily by motorists.
- Small children need a supervising adult with them when trick-or- treating.
- Have children carry flashlights to light their way and be more visible to motorists.
- Walk on sidewalks where available.
- If children must walk on a road, walk facing traffic.
- Trick-or-treaters should go only to houses where they know the residents, and where the outside light is on.
- Children should stay on the porch or outside steps to get their treats, and NEVER go into a home without an adult.
- For treats, parents should consider healthy options to candy.
- Healthful prepackaged snacks such as raisins, or treats such as coins, stickers, sports cards or coupons from local businesses are a welcome alternative.
- Children should be warned not to eat any food until an adult has inspected it at home. Unwrapped treats and those showing signs of tampering should be discarded.