October 21, 2013
Helpful STAR Registration Information
New legislation requires all homeowners receiving a Basic STAR Exemption to register with the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance in order to receive the exemption in 2014 and subsequent years.
Homeowners will not have to re-register every year. Based on the information provided in the registration process, the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance will monitor homeowners' eligibility in future years.
HOW TO REGISTER:
You can register for the STAR exemption online. You will need to:
- Provide a STAR Code (All Basic STAR recipients will be mailed an individual STAR Code; or you can use the STAR Code lookup on the NYS website – www.tax.ny.gov)
- Provide the names and social security numbers for all owners of the property and spouses
- Confirm that the property is the primary residence of one of its owners (married couples with multiple residences may only claim one STAR exemption)
- Confirm that the combined income of the owners and their spouses who reside at the property does not exceed $500,000
- Confirm that no resident owner received a residency-based tax benefit from another state
You can also register by calling (518) 457-2036
- Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 8:00 pm
- Saturday, 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Registration started on August 19, 2013 and will continue through December 31, 2013.
NOTE: Senior citizens receiving Enhanced STAR benefits are not affected by the new registration requirement, which applies to Basic STAR benefits only.
Homeowners who do not register will not receive the Basic STAR Exemption for 2014.