Division of Forensic Services
The Division of Forensic Services (DFS) is an entity of the Nassau County Office of the Medical Examiner (NCOME) which is headed by the Chief Medical Examiner, Dr. Tamara Bloom. The NCOME crime laboratory was first established in 2001 and accredited in 2003 for forensic DNA casework analysis as the Department of Forensic Genetics. The laboratory remained a single discipline laboratory until 2010 when it added a latent print and chemistry section. Currently the DFS encompasses four distinct sections, Biology, Latent Print, Chemistry and Quality Assurance section which make up the NCOME Crime Laboratory.
The mission of the NCOME DFS is to supply the criminal justice system and community of Nassau County with a state-of-the-art Forensic testing facility. The laboratory’s technical operations and overall management system conform to the requirements of the ASCLD/LAB-International® Accreditation Program, the FBI Quality Assurance Standards for Forensic DNA Testing Laboratories, and the National DNA Index System (NDIS). The laboratory will conduct scientific analysis on evidence related to criminal and civil investigations within the scope of the laboratory’s accreditation. These analyses will be conducted independently and objectively, to provide accurate, reliable and timely results to the legal system of Nassau County. To comply with the laboratory’s mission, the DFS will ensure accurate and reliable results through its quality assurance program.
Information for Submitting Agencies
- The Division of Forensic Services crime laboratory will accept evidence submitted by law enforcement agencies, prosecutors, or the Medical Examiner’s Office.
- The laboratory does not provide analysis for private citizens or civil litigations.
- Evidence can be submitted through the Nassau County Police Department Evidence Management Unit to the laboratory between the hours of 9:00am and 4:00pm. An appointment should be scheduled with the Evidence Accessioning Supervisor prior to evidence delivery.
- The Division of Forensic Services crime laboratory is responsible for determining the appropriate test methods utilized for analysis.
- The Division of Forensic Services crime laboratory reserves the right to approve deviations regarding the test methods utilized for analysis.
- Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
- The Division of Forensic Services utilizes the Porter Lee Corporation Crime Fighter Bar Coded Evidence Analysis Statistics and Tracking (BEAST)
Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
The system supports a web portal which can be accessed by the laboratory’s user agencies through the Nassau County Government intranet. Use of this module is reserved for official use only. The BEAST Web Portal enables electronic inquiry of the following case related information:
Confirmation of Evidence Receipt and Date of Receipt
List of Items Accepted for Analysis
Case Exam Status (Pending/ Complete)
Expected Case Completion Date (Target Date)
Electronic Report Requests
(For Official Use Only)