|The boardwalk and marina at Cow Meadow Park.
Cow Meadow Park and Preserve
Freeport, South Main Street near
Ann Drive South
On-site staff: Yes
Click here for Google map
LOCATED IN FREEPORT ON THE SOUTH SHORE of Long Island, Cow Meadow has been part
of the county park system since 1970.
This park and preserve serve to protect and showcase 150 acres of Long Island’s marine wetlands, including salt marsh, mud flat and tidal creek habitats.
Cow Meadow is home to more than 150 varieties of birds and more than a dozen mammal species. A quarter-mile nature trail winds through upland bayberry
thicket, tidal marshes and creeks, providing a pleasant and easy-to-walk diversion for families and individuals. In addition to the nature trail, the park offers several other activities:
- There is one baseball field with lighting;
- four lighted basketball courts;
- six lighted tennis courts;
- four lighted handball courts;
- and a 1-mile jogging course.
- Football and soccer are also played at the park.
|The large and recently renovated playground at Cow Meadow has a variety of activities for young children.
- There is a new and large playground as well as reserved and unreserved picnic areas with barbecues (Leisure Pass required; to reserve, call 571-8685). For more information see "News & Events" below.
Fishing and boating:
- A marina with approximately 30 boat slips is available; call 608-0514 for information (Leisure Pass required).
- A fishing pier is available year-round, weather permitting.
- A community room is available for a nominal fee (Leisure Pass required).
To reach Cow Meadow Park and Preserve, take the Southern State Parkway to Exit 22 South (Meadowbrook Parkway). Exit at M9 West (Merrick Road). Proceed to the left lane immediately and turn left onto Mill Road. Take Mill Road to South Main Street and turn left. Proceed down South Main Street to the park. The entrance is on the left.
County Parks Begin Accepting Picnic Reservations
Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano announces that reservations for the coming season may be made at Nassau County parks beginning in February. Reservations can be made for the following parks:
Reservations must be made in person at park locations, and a valid Leisure Pass and appropriate payment (fees depend upon group size) must be presented to obtain a confirmed reservation. Payment can be made by cash, check (made out to “Treasurer of Nassau County”) or credit card (at some locations). “Rain-or-shine” shelter areas are available at Cedar Creek Park, Rev. Arthur Mackey Sr. Park, Nickerson Beach Park and Wantagh Park.
County regulations require that 75% of all picnic participants be Nassau County residents. A special permit is required for the use of alcoholic beverages, and this permit must be purchased at least one week in advance of any reserved or unreserved picnic. To make catering arrangements, patrons must contact the park concessionaire, Dover Caterers, at 516-933-4444, ext. 12 or 16. Picnic reservations must be secured from the individual park before catering can be arranged.