City, Town & Village Governments
New York State Government
U.S. Government

 

Nassau County Parks

Breadcrumb Start you are here >Home/ Where To Go/Passive Parks

Passive Parks

The Nassau County Department of Parks, Recreation and Museums manages more than 30 parks. These include “Active” parks, which are large, offer diverse activities and are heavily used by the public. “Active” parks tend to have full-time, on-site staff. "Passive" parks are much smaller, in many cases consisting of a single athletic field or tiny "green" area. Below is a listing of some of the larger passive parks.


Barbara Johnson Park and Perserve offers a walking trail around a pretty pond, just across from Manhasset Bay.

Baxter's Pond/Barbara Johnson Park and Preserve
Port Washington, Shore Road and Central Drive
Phone:N/A
On Site Staff:No

Located across from Manhasset Bay and along Shore Road on its northern perimeter, 5-acre Barbara Johnson Park and Preserve is a long, narrow and pretty park, the first half of which is dominated by a large, shallow pond framed by native flowers and vegetation. There are numerous benches in this area and a wooden viewing dock on the west side of the pond.

The second half of the park south of the pond is wooded with many maple trees and a stream that feeds into the pond. There is a walking trail on the west side of the pond that is brick alongside the pond and leads into a dirt trail beyond. Barbara Johnson is one of several County properties that were orginally designed for drainage purposes and were later turned into public parks. The property was acquired in two parcels, in 1944 and 1975.

 

 


Herricks Pond Park
Herricks, Searington Road and Herricks Road
Phone:N/A
On Site Staff:No

Herricks Pond Park is a centrally located 4-acre park with a small pond and an adjacent parcel of open space. A walking path around the pond and benches provide the opportunity for light exercise and relaxation. Herricks Pond is one of several County properties that were orginally designed for drainage purposes and were later turned into public parks.

 

 

Stannards Brook Park
Port Washington, Carlton Avenue and Charles Street
Phone:N/A
On Site Staff:No

A wooded and narrow 3-acre neighborhood park, Stannards Brook Park is bisected by a winding brook with flowering plants alongside. The park includes a trail for strolling as well as several benches and three bridges that span the stream to connect to residential streets on the east side of the park. The park is also part of the New York State Significant Fish and Wildlife Habitat in Manhasset Bay and an important bird sanctuary. Stannards Brook was acquired by the Country in 1944, originally for drainage purposes.

 

 


 

Hall's Pond Park
West Hempstead, Nassau Boulevard and Hempstead Avenue
Phone:516-733-0879
On Site Staff:No

Centrally located in West Hempstead, this 11-acre park includes a 5.5-acre pond with a walkway and a wooded area on its north side. Hall's Pond is a popular local setting for quiet walks and community activities. The park is one of several County properties that were orginally designed for drainage purposes and were later turned into public parks. Hall's Pond is made up of three contiguous parcels of land acquired by the County between 1956 and 1970.

 


Polaris Field
Levittown, Polaris Road
Phone:N/A
On Site Staff:No

A 3-acre athletic field, Polaris consists of two baseball fields used by the Levittown Little League as well as local soccer leagues. The property was acquired by the County in 1938 and 1949.


The 8-acre Camman's Pond Park is conveniently located on Merrick Road in Merrick.

South Shore

Camman's Pond Park
Merrick, Merrick Road and Lindenmere Boulevard
Phone:N/A
On Site Staff:No

This pretty 8-acre park includes a long, winding pond with a small island and a half-mile walkway on the eastern side of the park. Numerous benches alongside the pond provide the opportunity for rest and relaxation. Camman's, acquired by the County in 1961, is one of several County properties that were orginally designed for drainage purposes.

 

 


Doxey Brook Park
North Woodmere, Branch Boulevard
Phone:N/A
On Site Staff:No

Located across Branch Boulevard from the North Woodmere Park golf course, the primary attraction of this small park is its pretty and large pond, which is fronted by residences. A walking path winds along the western end of the park, and there are more than a dozen benches and a small parking lot. The property was originally acquired by the County in 1963 for drainage purposes.

 


East Gate/West Gate
Valley Stream, East West Gate Road off of Dutch Broadway
Phone:N/A
On Site Staff:No

A 2-acre park set in a residential area, East/West Gate has a creek running through it, together with benches and grassy areas.


Lofts Pond Park
Baldwin, Merrick Road between Windsor and Surrey Lanes
Phone:N/A
On Site Staff:No

A 14-acre park, Lofts Pond provides a relaxing environment in which to sit or stroll while enjoying a view of the large pond, which is bordered by residences on several sides. The property making up Lofts was acquired by the County in 1963 and 1966.

Lofts Pond was part of a three-pond capital improvement restoration project announced by Nassau County in August 2005. The project, completed in 2007, included cleaning and dredging of the pond; planting of trees (such as grey birch and sweetgum), shrubs (blueberry, elderberry, and pepperbush), aquatic plants (sedges, rushes and ferns) and restoration of walkways. In addition, a gazebo was constructed, as well as a small bridge that provides for viewing the inaccessible shoreline area and for fishing.


 

milburn
Milburn Pond and adjoining Milburn Creek Park provide opportunities for light exercise.
Milburn Pond Park / Milburn Creek Park
Freeport, West Merrick Road and South Brookside Avenue
Phone:N/A
On Site Staff:No

The 8-acre Milburn Pond Park provides a pretty setting for a half-mile stroll around the pond or for relaxing on the numerous benches. Across West Merrick Road from Milburn Pond Park, the adjoining Milburn Creek Park is a narrow 24-acre park split by Milburn Creek, which incorporates a mix of salt water from Freeport Bay to the south and fresh water from the north. Milburn Creek Park includes a half-mile walking or jogging trail and a boat launch, accessible via the Atlantic Avenue entrance.

Milburn Pond is one of several County properties that were orginally designed for drainage purposes and were later turned into public parks; Milburn Creek was also the site of the first boat launch offered by the County in 1963. The two properties were acquired by the County between 1956 and 1962.


Silver Lake Park
Baldwin, Foxhurst Road, just south of Merrick Road
Phone:N/A
On Site Staff:No

Silver Lake is a beautiful 9-acre park located in a residential area, with a large pond at its southern end. The park’s walkway circles the pond, providing a good opportunity for strolling and jogging. The park is also a popular setting for wedding photographs. Silver Lake, acquired by the County in 1946, is one of several County properties that were orginally designed for drainage purposes and were later turned into public parks.

 

Silver Lake was part of a three-pond capital improvement restoration project announced by Nassau County in August 2005. The project, completed in 2007, included cleaning and dredging of the pond; planting of trees. shrubs and aquatic plants; and restoration of walkways.


tangle
The renovated Tanglewood Park and Preserve plays host to the Center for Science Teaching and Learnng.

Tanglewood Park and Preserve
Lakeview, Tanglewood Road between Ocean Avenue and Lakeview Road
Phone:516-764-0045 (Center for Science Teaching and Learning)
On Site Staff:No

An 11-acre park and preserve, Tanglewood provides a lovely nature trail and a beautifully renovated brick walkway surrounding a pond. The park was originally acquired by the County between 1962 and 1964 for drainage purposes.

Tanglewood also serves as home for the Center for Science Teaching and Learning, a nonprofit educational organization. Click here to link to the CSTL Website.

 

 

 


Terrell Avenue Park
Oceanside, Atlantic Avenue and
Terrell Avenue
Phone:N/A
On Site Staff:No

A small (1 acre) neighborhood site, Terrell Avenue Park offers a series of benches fronting a stream. Terrell also has the distinction of being one of the earliest park properties acquired by the County, in 1938, for drainage purposes.

 

 


Washington Avenue Park
Seaford, Jerusalem and Washington Avenues
Phone:N/A
On Site Staff:No

A 4-acre community park, Washington Avenue includes two baseball diamonds in a sunken field. Both of which have bleachers for viewing; a playground area with several attractions for very young children, including swings and small play apparatus.  The park also has both benches and picnic tables. The area beyond the playground on the south side of the horizontally shaped park is filled with oak trees. The park was acquired by the County in1941-42 for drainage purposes.

NEWS BRIEF: The New York State Recreation and Parks Society has granted its Outstanding Facility Award to Washington Avenue Park. Under the direction of County Executive Mangano, the park was completely rehabilitated in 2010 after years of neglect. The two baseball fields were redone with artificial turf infields, newly seeded outfields, an irrigation system, new dugouts, new spectator stands and new fencing. Elsewhere in the park, the work included a new playground with separate areas for preschoolers and older children; new pathways and a limited fitness trail; and a new restroom facility. The park, which serves as home for the local Little League, is located at the intersection of Jerusalem Avenue and Washington Avenue. Click here for more information.