About Investigations and Complaints
|As authorized by Local Law 9-l967, Local Law 2-l970 and the N.Y.S. General Business Law, the Investigations and Complaints Division provides consumer protection to Nassau residents and regulates unfair, deceptive and unconscionable trade practices. This division provides the following services:
- Investigates, mediates and resolves consumer complaints through contacts with vendors and consumers, via phone, letter, email or personal visits.
- Receives, classifies and processes consumer complaints.
- Conducts field investigations.
- Issues Notices of Violation, conducts violation hearings and vendor conferences, corrects problems, obtains redress.
- Provides information and referral services to the public on consumer problems.
- Shares information with other enforcement agencies: District Attorney, County Attorney, State Attorney General, Federal Trade Commission, FBI, Justice Department and other local, state and federal jurisdictions.
- Provides information to courts.
- Testifies at county and state hearings.
- Regulates all taxis, livery vehicles and limousines operating in the County, provides for the issuance of violations and the levying of fines for noncompliance.