East Rockaway, First Avenue
On-site staff: In season
Click here for Google map
NEWS BRIEF: Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day, non-Nassau County residents will be charged a $10 parking fee on weekends.
Bay Park has been in the Nassau County park system since 1947 and is located in the southwest corner of the county, in East Rockaway. This 96-acre park offers the following activities:
- There are two lighted tennis courts (Leisure Pass and fee required);
- and two lighted basketball courts.
- Athletic fields include one softball field (lighted) and one hardball field. Soccer, football, lacrosse and rugby are played on the multi-sport fields. All sports fields require permits (Leisure Pass required).
- There are bicycle and running paths.
- An outdoor roller rink is open and available for charter Fees are $30 for a single session and $25 per session for multiple use (minimum usage: three times).
- A beautiful picnic area and group area on Hewlett Bay are available; the group area includes a fee and requires a Leisure Pass and advance reservation (571-7245). For more information, see "News & Events" below.
- A new and large playground offers various activities, including a spray pool, and lots of room for running and jumping.
- A 9-hole, par-30 golf course is open between March and December. The course is 1,956 yards, with holes ranging from 130 yards to 352 yards. There is also a putting green and a clubhouse. Call 571-7244 for reservations and waiting times. Click here for link to Nassau County Golf.
Fishing and boating:
- A fishing dock is open year-round (weather permitting), along with a transient sailboat launch and launch ramp (three-slip boat ramp; Leisure Pass and permit required). Call 571-7245 for information.
Dog run: (Closed for construction until further notice)
- A dog run includes separate areas for big and small dogs; it is located on the east side of the park by the ballfields. Please note that dogs are not allowed in any County parks or preserves, with the exception of the dog runs.
- A bocci court and horseshoe pit are available.
To reach Bay Park, take Southern State Parkway to Exit 17/Hempstead Avenue South. Take Hempstead Avenue to fork (Ocean Avenue). Take left on fork (Ocean Avenue) through Lynbrook and East Rockaway to Main Street (follow park signs). Make a left onto Front Street. Make a Right onto Althouse Avenue. Make a left onto First and follow to park or go straight into the park (lighted fields).
County Parks Begin Accepting Picnic Reservations in February
Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano announces that reservations for the coming season may be made at Nassau County parks beginning in February. Reservations can be made for the following parks:
Reservations must be made in person at park locations, and a valid Leisure Pass and appropriate payment (fees depend upon group size) must be presented to obtain a confirmed reservation. Payment can be made by cash, check (made out to “Treasurer of Nassau County”) or credit card (at some locations). “Rain-or-shine” shelter areas are available at Cedar Creek Park, Rev. Arthur Mackey Sr. Park, Nickerson Beach Park and Wantagh Park.
County regulations require that 75% of all picnic participants be Nassau County residents. A special permit is required for the use of alcoholic beverages, and this permit must be purchased at least one week in advance of any reserved or unreserved picnic. To make catering arrangements, patrons must contact the park concessionaire, Dover Caterers, at 516-933-4444, ext. 12 or 16. Picnic reservations must be secured from the individual park before catering can be arranged.