City, Town & Village Governments
New York State Government
U.S. Government

County Executive

Breadcrumb Start you are here >Home/ FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

1) When does the Home Energy Tax repeal take effect?

June 1, 2010

2) What is the phone number for Department of Social Services?

For Customer Service Inquiries: 516-227-7474

For General Automated Service: 516-227-8519

To apply for food stamps online, Click Here

3) How do I get a copy of a birth certificate?

Contact your town clerk or city clerk.

Town of Oyster Bay - Town Clerk: 516-624-6336

Town of Hempstead - Town Clerk: 516-489-5000 Ext:3046

Town of North Hempstead - Town Clerk: 516-869-7646

City of Glen Cove - City Clerk: 516-676-3345

City of Long Beach - City Clerk: 516-431-1002

Village of Rockville Centre - Registrar: 516-678-9258

4) How do I pay a parking ticket online?

Online Parking Ticket Payment Service

5) How do I report a pothole on county roads?

Please call 516-571-6900 to report a pothole. This line is available 24 hrs a day.

6) How do I contact the County Clerk's office for Deeds and Liens?

Please call 516-571-2664 to speak to the County Clerk regarding this.

7) How do I find out who my County Legislator is?

Please visit MyNassau for a full list of your local officals and more information about what Government does for you. (Click Here)

8) How do I contact the County Clerk's office to establish a business in the County?

Please click here for business formation information

9) How do I contact the County Assessor's office?

Please call 516-571-1500 to speak to the Assessor's office.

10) How do I pay my taxes online?

Town of Oyster Bay Online Tax Payments

Town of Hempstead Online Tax Payments

Town of North Hempstead Online Tax Payments

11) How do I find the Long Island Rail Road and Long Island Bus schedule?

Long Island Rail Road Schedule

Long Island Bus Schedule

12) What's going on in the County Parks?

Click here to see what's going on in Nassau County Parks

13) How do I get information on affordable housing?

516-572-1900 Nassau County Office of Housing

You can also contact your local municipality:

Village of Freeport Housing Authority: 516-623-2508

Town of Hempstead Housing Authority: 516-485-9666

Town of Oyster Bay Housing Authority: 516-349-1000

Village of Great Neck Housing Authority: 516-482-2727

Village of Island Park Senior Housing Authority: 516-889-7570

City of Long Beach Housing Authority: 516-431-2444

Village of Rockville Centre Housing Authority: 516-536-4343

14) How do I get help if I 'm a veteran?
Please call veteran services at 516-572-8452

15) What is the history of the Nassau County Seal?

Check out this website to find out more about our county seal.