Food Protection

What type of facilities do you regulate? 
Foodservice establishments [restaurants, delicatessens, retail bakeries, school cafeterias, taverns] as well as mobile units and temporary stands at fairs and festivals. 

What types of facilities are not under your jurisdiction? 
Supermarkets, groceries, convenience stores, wholesale clubs and bakeries, fish, meat and produce markets, food manufactures and other food selling establishments. These establishments are inspected and licensed by the New York State Department of Agriculture & Markets [718-722-2876 or 1-800-554-4501]. They handle Nassau and Suffolk Counties.

How can I obtain a permit to operate a catering service or retail bakery from my house?

In no case will a permit be issued for a non-commercial [private] kitchen or residence in Nassau County. The provision of food to anyone outside your immediate family or circle of friends by definition would classify an operation as a catering service. The options would be to either buy or lease an existing business, construct one in owned or leased commercially zoned space, or sublease space from a foodservice operation currently under permit by the department.

How do I obtain a permit for a foodservice business in a commercially zoned space?
To secure a food establishment permit for an existing restaurant you must apply in person at the:

 Nassau County Health Department
Office of Food Protection – North Entrance
200 County Seat Drive, North Entrance, Mineola, NY 11501 

You should bring with you your corporate seal, names, addresses and home phone numbers of all corporate officers [if incorporated], federal tax ID#/or social security #, workers compensation and disability insurance policy information (carrier, policy # and expiration date) and a check for the permit fee [determined by the # of seats & type of operation]. Also, if you are building a new restaurant or renovating an existing one, you must first submit plans showing all equipment and sinks in detail to us before applying for a permit. You will be notified by mail if the plans have been approved.

How can I make a complaint regarding a local restaurant? 
We would need the exact name and address of the restaurant and the complaint you would like addressed. If you would like to be notified of our findings, you can leave your name and a phone number where you can be reached so the inspector can call you back with the results. All complaints are kept anonymous. Call (516) 227-9717.