Nuisance Wildlife

Does the Nassau County Health Department trap or remove nuisance wildlife?

No. If there is wildlife on your property which has become a nuisance, it is up to the owner and or occupants to arrange for its trapping and proper removal. The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) regulates wildlife and can provide information on the proper methods of trapping and disposal for various types of wildlife. Property owners and occupants can also hire a nuisance wildlife trapper to professionally remove nuisance wildlife.

What if the animal is acting strangely?

In New York State, wildlife is regulated by, the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC). You can contact them for information on the handling of wildlife that is acting strangely. The local police will often respond to situations where a wild or uncontrollable animal is threatening people. The towns and cities have animal control officers who may also respond to threatening situations. One last option for property owners and occupants is to hire a nuisance wildlife trapper, who is professionally trained to deal with such situations.

I have been bitten by a wild animal. What should I do?

When a person bitten by a wild animal like a skunk, fox, raccoon, coyote, bat, or other wild or feral animal (cats, dogs, other carnivores) that is known to have rabies, or is not available to be tested for rabies, it is considered a rabies exposure and requires medical diagnosis and treatment.

My neighbor is feeding wildlife. What can be done?

Nassau County Health regulations have little to say specifically about feeding wildlife, however there are a few related issues that we do address. The Public Health Ordinance states that no animal can be fed out in the open in a way that causes the food to be available for rodents. This means that feeding must be done in a way that will not cause health nuisances. For information on regulations relative to the proper feeding wildlife, contact the NY State DEC. Other issues of concern the Health Department would respond to are: an accumulation of animal waste that is causing an insect pest condition, and a very severe odor condition.

I want to help wildlife. How can I do this responsibly?

The best options would include working with wildlife organizations to preserve wildlife in wild and natural environments so that they do not become a nuisance in our residential neighborhoods. You should contact wildlife organizations for information on how and what you can do to help preserve wildlife responsibly.

Is there anything I can do to keep wildlife off of my property?

There are several steps you can take if wildlife is coming into your yard. You can purchase and apply repellants, and plant vegetation or place physical impediments that discourage wildlife. You can hire a nuisance wildlife trapper to advise you on preventing wildlife from frequenting your yard. A professional wildlife trapper can also trap and remove the animals.

Is more information available?

You can visit the following web site(s) for more information:

New York State DEC Wildlife

New York State DEC Region 1 - Long Island

US Fish and Wildlife Service

National Wildlife Federation

If Nassau County residents have additional questions or concerns regarding Nuisance Wildlife in their area, they can call the Nassau County Department of Health – Zoonoses Program at 516-227-9663.