- County Services
- For Consumers
- Home Improvement Licensing
- Home Improvement Application
Home Improvement Application
**** THE FILING OF AN APPLICATION DOES NOT CONSTITUTE PERMISSION TO OPERATE****
A LICENSE MUST ACTUALLY BE IN THE POSSESSION OF THE LICENSEE
BEFORE ANY OPERATION OR PROMOTION THEREOF BE LEGALLY CONDUCTED.
Failure to complete the required information or the giving of false information in the application may result in the denial of said application for a license or any renewal thereto, as well as cancellation, suspension or revocation in the event such license has been issued. (Falsification of an official document is punishable under the law to the fullest extent.) The issuance of a license is subject to verification of the requirements herein provided.
1. An application must be signed before a Notary Public and thereafter filed with this Office, in person. If the application is made by an out‑of‑state individual, partnership or Corporation, you must provide a Certificate of Authority to do business in NY State, have a NY State location as well as an authorized contact person that can be reached in New York.
2. The following enclosed forms must be completed:
a) White APPLICATION form completed and NOTARIZED by an owner or corporation principal.
b) DISCLOSURE (BLUE): each individual, partner, officer, director, stockholder, manager and salesperson of the business must complete this form and have it NOTARIZED.
3. Three (3) passport type(2"x2") photographs, taken within the past 6 months, MUST be submitted for:
a) each individual
b) all partners in a partnership
c) all corporate officers, directors and stockholders (including NY contacts for out of state corps)
d) all employees and/or salespersons who have the authority to estimate and/or negotiate a contract.
Photos must be free of any hats and/or sunglasses. Home photos are NOT acceptable.
4. Each of the above must also submit proof of residence. This proof must be a NYS DMV Drivers License or Non Driver ID Card AND ONE of the following only: a current utility bill (electric or home telephone), NYS Auto Registration or a copy of a current lease. Please be advised, PO Boxes are NOT acceptable.
5. You must also submit a copy of a current utility bill or a current lease to show proof of business location, if the business address is different from the home address.
6. A copy of the business phone bill showing the land line business phone number and address must be submitted. Cell phones and toll free numbers are not permitted for this requirement. Home phones are acceptable as business numbers if you are doing business from your home.
7. All persons are required to state all criminal convictions, including DWI, DWAI and DUI, and provide an official disposition from the applicable court. A complete copy of the court case may be required.
8. Trade Names, Partnerships and Corporations.
a) individuals using their own name or a trade name must present a certified copy of the business certificate on file in the Nassau County Clerk's Office. (ref: Blumberg form # X201)
b) a partnership conducting business, must submit a certified copy of the partnership certificate on file in the Nassau County Clerk's Office. (ref: Blumberg form # X74)
c) a corporation must furnish a copy of the Secretary of State's Filing receipt. The corporation must maintain a bonafide establishment at a definite location within the State of New York. If this is not a New York corporation, you must submit a Certificate of Authority to do business in New York State.
d) If your corporation is using a DBA, you must submit an Assumed Name Certificate that has been filed with New York State authorizing you to use the name in Nassau County.
e) All corporations must furnish the original and current corporate structure naming all principals, officers, directors and stockholders including all minutes showing changes made to the corporate structure. If you are unsure of these requirements, bring the corporate book with you.
NOTE: If the Corporation was formed more than 3 years ago, you must also submit a Certificate of Good Standing issued by the New York State Bureau of Corporations. (518) 473-2492.
9. A Certificate of Insurance, with Nassau County Consumer Affairs as the certificate holder, MUST be provided to show proof of liability coverage. Coverage requirements can be found on a separate sheet.
10. A Certificate of Workman's Compensation is required covering all employees. If you DO NOT have employees, you must submit a Certificate of Attestation Exemption (CE-200) form from the Workman's Compensation Board. The form can be obtained online at or by calling (866) 546‑9322.
11. NY State law requires ALL businesses to have a Federal Employers Identification number, and a NY State Sales Tax number if you collect sales tax. You must list these numbers on your application or it will NOT be accepted. You can obtain these numbers by calling 1(800) 829‑4933 for Federal and (518) 457‑5431 for Sales Tax.
ALL PAYMENTS MUST BE MADE BY CERTIFIED CHECK OR POSTAL MONEY ORDER
PAYABLE TO: THE COUNTY OF NASSAU.
Nassau County Home Improvement License fees are as follows:
1. New application for a two (2) year license: $500.00
2. Restitution payment for each new application: $ 50.00
THE RESTITUTION PAYMENT MUST BE MADE WITH A SEPARATE CERTIFIED CHECK OR MONEY ORDER IN THE AMOUNT OF $50.00. IT CANNOT BE COMBINED WITH THE $500.00 FEE.
3. Additional location: $100.00
4. Duplicate copy of license (ONLY if lost): $ 50.00
5. Name changes not at renewal: $ 75.00
Please be advised, ANY name change MUST be accompanied by a fully completed application in proper form, and the original current license MUST be surrendered.
The license shall be affixed in a conspicuous place at each business location.
A copy of the license shall also be kept in each vehicle.
ALL FORMS ARE TO BE COMPLETED LEGIBLY IN BLUE OR BLACK INK OR TYPED.
TWO YEAR LICENSE WILL BE MAILED TO ALL APPLICANTS
AFTER THE APPLICATION HAS BEEN APPROVED AND PROCESSED.
REFUNDS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.