GENERAL POSITION DESCRIPTION:
The Office of the Nassau County Comptroller is seeking a full-time Financial Analyst. The Financial Analyst will apply accounting principles in order to analyze past and present financial operations and estimates future revenues and expenditures for budget preparations; performs related duties as required.
• Project financial variances by analyzing forecasted and interim results and past history and researching current economic conditions and financial tendencies;
• Prepares Charter required budgetary reports. Prepares other financial reports as required, including financial impact statements, studies concerning proposed and existing labor agreements, vendor contracts, changes in reimbursement rates, departmental consolidations, new laws and changes in County operations;
• Review and analyze the status of the operating budget for the first six months of current fiscal year and the proposed operating budget for the subsequent fiscal year;
• Responds to requests from governmental agencies for financial information and furnishes reports and analysis as required;
• Interacts with the Office of Information Technology and becomes knowledgeable with regard to financial data contained within the County’s automated financial management system and other related systems;
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with either, a.) Major course work in Accounting or Finance OR b.) Completion of at least 24 credits in Accounting AND Five years of satisfactory professional accounting and/or financial management or analysis experience, which included preparing and analyzing budgetary statements, including three years experience with computerized financial systems.
NOTE: Possession of a currently valid certificate as a Certified Public Accountant issued by the State of New York may substitute for two years of the above described experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Thorough knowledge of accounting principles and practices;
• Considerable knowledge of financial systems administration, accounting, and budgeting;
• Knowledge of current principles, practices, and procedures of financial systems;
• Knowledge of the use and capabilities of financial management systems in accounting applications;
• Strong teamwork skills, and the ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment;
• Ability to maintain records and prepare reports;
• Ability to express oneself effectively, both orally and in writing;
• Nassau County Residency is required
• Permanency in the position is subject to passing a Civil Service examination and then being reachable via the Civil Service list process.
• Starting salary is $50,261. Salary increases to $57,254 after six months and increases to $67,775 after one year.
• Location: 240 Old Country Road, Mineola, NY 11501
Submit a cover letter and resume to NCComptroller@nassaucountyny.gov
EOE/MFDV PERSONNEL CHOSEN FOR MERIT AND FITNESS WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE, RELIGION, SEX, AGE, NATIONAL ORIGIN, DISABILITY, MARITAL STATUS, OR ANY OTHER NON-MERIT FACTOR