Group Health Insurance Supervisor
TITLE: Group Health Insurance Supervisor
GENERAL POSITION DESCRIPTION:
Supervises the activities of group health, medical, surgical, and dental insurance programs for County employees; performs related duties as required.
Duties include: the use of judgment in planning, directing, and coordinating the work of subordinates and performing the functions involved in the administration of the County’s various group health insurance programs. Provide information to employees and retirees on health, medical, surgical and dental insurance programs. Acts as a liaison between employees and insurance carriers. Supervise the entry of new employees into insurance plans. Supervise the preparation of reports on premium payments and transmittal of premiums to the carrier. Plans, assigns, reviews, and performs the clerical processes involved in maintenance of insurance coverage; in preparing reports on premium payments; and in transferring information into the County system. Initiates special studies, as required.
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university and
Three years of satisfactory experience (exclusively) in non-clerical group health insurance work, which must have included the interpretation of contracts and supervising subordinates engaged in the processing of enrollments.
Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a major in Business Administration, Finance or Accounting
Two years of satisfactory non-clerical experience (exclusively) in non-clerical group health insurance work, which must have included the interpretation of contracts and supervision subordinates engaged in the processing of enrollments.
NOTE: Master’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, or Accounting from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university may be substituted for one year of the experience as outlined above, including the supervisory experience.
• Knowledge of group insurance contracts and their interpretation and application.
• Knowledge of claims procedures and benefit payments under group contracts.
• Knowledge of office practices and procedures and their application in the use of a computerized system.
• Ability to plan, organize, and supervise the work of subordinates engaged in clerical work.
• Ability to read and interpret written and numerical data and to maintain and prepare reports
• Ability to express oneself effectively, both oral and written.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates.
• Nassau County Residency is required.
• Permanency in the position is subject to passing a Civil Service examination and then being reachable via the Civil Service list process.
• Starting Salary is $50,261, Salary increases to $57,254 after six-months and increases to $67,775 after one year.
• Location: 240 Old Country Road, Mineola, NY 11501.
Submit a cover letter and resume to NCComptroller@nassaucountyny.gov
In order to be eligible for this position you must apply and take the Group Health Insurance Supervisor Civil Service Exam when announced by Civil Service.
Announcements and online applications are available at www.nassaucivilservice.com.
EOE/MFDV PERSONNEL CHOSEN FOR MERIT AND FITNESS WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE, RELIGION, SEX, AGE, NATIONAL ORIGIN, DISABILITY, MARITAL STATUS, OR ANY OTHER NON-MERIT FACTOR