Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What is the deadline for grieving my assessment with the Assessment Review Commission (ARC)?
    The deadline for grieving your assessment with ARC has been extended to April 30, 2019. The County Executive recently requested and ARC agreed to provide a grace period until April 30, 2019, to allow property owners more time to file a grievance with ARC.  Remember, you always have the right to grieve if  you disagree with the home value on your notice of tentative assessment.

  2. Should I file online or on a paper form?
    If you have email, filing online is recommended. Filing online is faster and more accurate. You can file online for any type of property and any type of claim. Click here to file online

  3. Which application form should I use?
    Use one of ARC's three application forms. Use form AR1 to contest the value of an exclusively residential one, two, or three family house or Class 1 condominium unit. Use AR2 to contest the value of all other property types. Use AR3 if you disagree with the property's tax class or exemptions.

  4. Can I attach documents to my application form?
    Yes. The instructions for each application form list required documents for specific property types and claims. You may attach any other information you believe is relevant. If you file online, you can attach word documents, spreadsheets, digital photographs and scanned images. If you are unable to attach your documents electronically, you may submit them separately by mail with a cover sheet that references your application and the parcel number of your property or you may contact customer service (516) 571-3214 for help with attaching documents electronically.