COUNTY PAYROLL SUPERVISOR
GENERAL POSITION DESCRIPTION:
Supervises subordinate personnel engaged in the processing of County payrolls in the Office of the County Comptroller; performs related duties as required.
Duties include; supervising subordinate personnel engaged in the processing of County payrolls in the Office of the County Comptroller.
Reviews and approves payrolls and all other related contractual and statutory benefits and reimbursements.
Maintains yearly and monthly schedules and calendars; ensures timely execution and completion of all required actions and reports.
Ensures accuracy of payrolls, payroll deductions and leave accruals and other payroll deductions, including garnishments. Performs payroll audits and supplemental updates.
Enrolls and updates employees in payroll and associated benefits programs.
Compiles data and prepares and/or provides complete and accurate Federal, State and local mandated reports, including W-2’s.
Assists in the implementation of the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) System.
Assists in recommending, developing and implementing policies and procedures relating to payroll operations.
Assigns work, trains and instructs staff, evaluates performance.
Performs research and answers questions relative to payroll, retirement systems, social security, and other benefits, refunds, deductions and reimbursements.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university and three years of satisfactory non-clerical experience (exclusively) in payroll processing work, which must have included ensuring compliance with payroll policies and supervising subordinates engaged in the processing of payrolls.
OR Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a major in Business Administration, Finance or Accounting and two years of satisfactory non-clerical experience (exclusively) in payroll processing work, which must have included ensuring compliance with payroll policies and supervising subordinates engaged in the processing of payrolls.
Master’s degree in Business Administration, Finance or Accounting from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university may be substituted for one year of the experience as outlined above, including the supervisory experience.
• Considerable knowledge of account keeping and bookkeeping as applied to payroll processing.
• Knowledge of mathematical computations.
• Knowledge of office practices and procedures and their application in the use of a computerized system.
• Ability to plan, organize and supervise the work of subordinates engaged in clerical work.
• Ability to read and interpret written and numerical data and to maintain and prepare reports
• Ability to express oneself effectively, both oral and written.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates.
• Nassau County Residency is required.
• Permanency in the position is subject to passing a Civil Service examination and then being reachable via the Civil Service list process.
• Starting Salary is $50,261, Salary increases to $57,254 after six-months and increases to $67,775 after one year.
• Location: 240 Old Country Road, Mineola, NY 11501.
submit a cover letter and resume to NCComptroller@nassaucountyny.gov.
In order to be eligible for this position you must apply and take the County Payroll Supervisor Civil Service Exam when announced by Civil Service.
Announcements and online applications are available at www.nassaucivilservice.com.
EOE/MFDV PERSONNEL CHOSEN FOR MERIT AND FITNESS WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE, RELIGION, SEX, AGE, NATIONAL ORIGIN, DISABILITY, MARITAL STATUS, OR ANY OTHER NON-MERIT FACTOR