GENERAL POSITION DESCRIPTION:
Supervises the administrative and professional accounting work in a large County Department. Under general supervision, the duties require coordinating and directing the activities of subordinate supervisory professional and non-professional employees. Work is performed independently but is subject to administrative review; performs related duties as required.
Administers the work of a staff of professional accounting and non-professional employees. Reviews and acts on accounting documents and reports. Prepares and directs the preparation of statistical data and accounting and fiscal reports and documents. Prepares procedures for fiscal operations and enforces compliance with them. Trains professional employees and helps develop their capabilities. Consults with department heads and higher level fiscal officials on finance and fiscal affairs.
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with, either A. Major in Accounting; OR B. Completion of at least 24 credits in Accounting; and Six years of responsible professional accounting experience, including three years in a supervisory capacity.
- Extensive knowledge of accounting principles and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles of office management and financial administration.
- Knowledge of the use and capabilities of data processing equipment in accounting applications.
- Knowledge of potential uses, and/or limitations of electronic data processing equipment.
- Ability to plan, organize and effectively direct a large department program of accounting and fiscal services and control.
- Ability to aid in planning departmental programs and to assume responsibility for organizing, directing, and evaluating the accounting and fiscal aspects of the department’s work.
- Ability to lead and train employees and to develop their professional skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other departments and subordinate staff.
- Nassau County Residency is required.
- Permanency in the position is subject to passing a Civil Service examination and then being reachable via the Civil Service list process.
- CPA or governmental accounting experience is preferred but not required.
- Annual Salary is $74,002 (starting at $54,929, increases to $62,545 after six-months and increases to $74,002 after one year)
- Location: 240 Old Country Road, Mineola, NY 11501.
TO APPLY: submit a cover letter and resume to NCComptroller@nassaucountyny.gov
EOE/MFDV PERSONNEL CHOSEN FOR MERIT AND FITNESS WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE, RELIGION, SEX, AGE, NATIONAL ORIGIN, DISABILITY, MARITAL STATUS, OR ANY OTHER NON-MERIT FACTOR