OMB is a team of professionals dedicated to making financial decisions and developing long-term financial plans that are founded on realistic and accurate assumptions so that the County can advance its vision and mission. It is committed to establishing a collaborative working relationship with County departments to assist them in making financial decisions and in providing them with the resources they need to achieve their goals and objectives. It also is determined to provide reliable and understandable financial information to the County's managers, the fiscal monitors and the public.
The mission of the Office of Management and Budget is to ensure that the County's budget is in balance and that it allocates its resources in a manner that is consistent with the County's priorities and with the goals and objectives of County departments.
OMB accomplishes its mission through the strict adherence to established and generally accepted financial policies and best practices. It also is dedicated to:
- Developing an operating budget, capital budget and multi-year financial plan that are based on realistic assumptions
- Monitoring spending and revenue collection on a monthly basis and regularly processing fiscal transactions on behalf of County departments
- Working with departments to ensure that multi-year financial plan initiatives are being implemented successfully and on schedule
- Linking performance to fiscal decision-making
- Regularly updating the fiscal oversight community and the public on the County's fiscal condition
- Develop an Operating Budget, Capital Budget and Multi-Year Financial Plan that are balanced, based on realistic assumptions and approved by the County Legislature and the Nassau Interim Finance Authority
- Work with departments to ensure that spending and revenue generation are meeting targets, and that multi-year plan initiatives are being implemented
The Office of Management and Budget (OMB) is divided into three separate components. Central OMB is responsible for developing the annual budget and multi-year financial plan, monitoring expenditures and revenues, and providing fiscal support to County departments. It also serves as the primary liaison to the fiscal oversight community and the public. Vertical Administration consists of support staff, which is responsible for managing the operations of the Administration's six verticals. It also undertakes special projects designed to improve the County's financial infrastructure. Fiscal Analysis includes County Stat, which is responsible for monitoring departmental performance and improving operations, and a team of staff dedicated to providing additional fiscal support to County departments on an as-needed basis.