Nassau County would like to welcome you home and thank you for your service to your country and the American people.
Without people like you this country would not be what it is today. We encourage you to contact the Nassau County Veterans Service Agency at 516-572-6560; to find out what benefits you may be entitled to from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), New York State, and Nassau County.
We will help you complete the necessary forms to get your veterans' benefits. One of the first steps you should take as a veteran is to enroll at the nearest VA Medical Center. Your rights to lifetime care may expire if you do not enroll within two years of your discharge.
The following are helpful links and resources for returning veterans:
- Domino's U.S. Veterans Franchise Program offers veterans a franchise fee discount and other rebates to veterans and spouses of active duty members. Contact 1-877-921-8326 (option 8) or visit Domino's website.
- Drexel Hamilton
- Small Business Help: Receive advice and loans up to $500,000 from the Veterans Business Outreach program. Contact John Narciso at 631-370-8891 for information.
- VA Home Page - Note: If you were hurt or acquired a disease or if an injury or illness was aggravated while in the military we strongly recommend that you apply for a disability benefit with the help of a trained veterans counselor at the Nassau County Veterans Service Agency. Call 516-572-6565 for an appointment.
County Executive "Welcome Back Warriors" All Veteran Job Fair 2012
- 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Tuesday, May 22
- Nassau Community College
Introducing a New Resource Available to Post 9/11 Veterans
Our goal at VetsBuild Long Island is simple … Help our post 9/11 veterans find jobs in the emerging green construction industry
VetsBuild will provide the following at no cost to the veteran: career counseling, job training, and job placement assistance. Prepare you for green industry job opportunities in green energy construction and home energy remodeling. Training at an E3 (Energy Efficiency Education) Career Training Center, which is a state of the art training center with the latest equipment and technology to provide VetsBuild students with hands on training. Help you learn to construct green homes using green construction techniques, which will help provide safe, affordable, environmentally friendly homes for low to moderate income families. Prepare you for job opportunities as weatherization installers. This program is free and open to post 9/11 veterans
For more information, contact Tim Scherer at 631- 665-1571 or by writing to: United Veterans Beacon House
1715 Union Blvd.
Bay Shore, NY 11706
American Security Shredding
Steve Schlake, President
P.O. Box 402
Oceanside, NY 11572
- VA Home Loan Guarantee
- Homes for Veterans Program: This New York State program offers lower interest rates and lower closing costs than traditional VA home loans.
Health Care Eligibility and Directory of VA Medical Centers
You have two years to enroll with the VAMedical Center.
The Nassau County Bar Association (NCBA) launched the Veterans Legal Advocacy Project, a program to provide free legal assistance for returning veterans who face legal challenges resulting from their military service. NCBA attorneys have volunteered to provide free, or pro bono, legal assistance to any returning veteran who may be facing such legal issues as discrimination in the workforce, credit penalties incurred during military service, or even eviction or foreclosure issues that may be a result of their military service. Call 516-747-4832 for information.
Nassau County Benefits
- Veteran Real Estate Tax Exemption
- Veterans Leisure Pass
The Nassau County Veterans Service Agency will assist in filing for any of the above benefits if you contact this agency at 516-572-6560.