Nassau County Legislator Denise Ford continues to work with the Nassau County Police Department and local law enforcement to ensure our roads are safe for drivers, bike riders and pedestrians. All residents are urged to keep these simple guidelines in mind when walking:
• Always cross at a marked crosswalk or intersection.
• Stay Sober. Walking while impaired can increase your chances of being struck.
• Put down your phone. Smartphones and handheld electronic devices take your eyes off of the road and distract your attention.
• Make eye contact with drivers in stopped vehicles to ensure they see you before you cross in front of them.
• Always use pedestrian “push” buttons to activate/extend the walk signal. This allows more time for a pedestrian to cross. Do not enter the crosswalk if the “Don’t Walk” or stop hand signal is on.
• REMINDER: Bicyclists must obey all traffic signs and signals too, and must always ride with the flow of traffic, not against it.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact
Legislator Ford’s Office at 516-571-6204 • firstname.lastname@example.org