The community college program in the State of New York was intended to permit students who are State residents to pay a reduced tuition rate. Each community college has a local sponsor, generally a county, that provides a share of the costs allocable to resident students. A student who attends a community college outside their county of residence must obtain a Certificate of Residence In order to be eligible for the lower in-state tuition rate. The local sponsor then reimburses its share of the costs of the students tuition to the community college.
- Resident of New York State for at least one (1) full year Immediately preceding the date the application/affidavit.
- Resident of Nassau County for at least six (6) months immediately preceding the date of the application/affidavit.
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident Alien for at least one (1) full year Immediately preceding the date of the application/affidavit or a valid visa holder (see FAQ tab for list of eligible visa types).
- Submit application/affidavit no earlier than sixty (60) days before the official start date of the semester and no later than the last day of classes (including finals).
- Once activated, by attending and completing the school term, the Certificate is then valid for one full year from the date it was issued.
- The Certificate must still be valid on the official start date of any future semesters to be able to use it for that semester.
- Certificates are based on your 6-months of Residence immediately preceding the date of application. Students who have moved from one county to another within that 6-month period will receive a partial Certificate for the number of months (rounded up) you resided in Nassau County. In that case you may also need a Certificate from your other county of residence to cover the remainder of the time you lived there.
PROOF #1 New York State Residence:
In order to prove that you have been a resident of New York State for at least one (1) year, you must submit one of the following suggested forms of documentation with an issue-date that is at least one (1) year prior to the date of your application, but not older than two (2) years prior:
- Drivers license
- Learners permit
- Auto registration
- Selective service card
- Voter registration ID card
- High school report card or official transcript
- New York State income tax return (IT-150 or IT-201 - first page only)**
- Any of the documents listed under PROOF #2 if dated 12-24 months prior to application.
** Federal 1040 income tax returns are only acceptable when using parents return listing student as a dependent. A copy of the parents NYS return must also accompany their 1040 when being used in this manner.
PROOF #2 Nassau County Residence:
In order to prove that you are a current resident of Nassau County, you must submit one of the following suggested forms of documentation with an issue-date that is within six (6) months of the date of your application:
- Bank Statement
- Student loan
- Credit card statement
- Cell phone bill
- Utility bill
- W-2 form (only accepted for this purpose January through June)
- TAP award or any financial aid
- Any of the documents listed under PROOF#1 if dated within the past 6 months.
WE DO NOT ACCEPT ANYTHING FROM ANY COLLEGE AS PROOF OF RESIDENCE
ALL PERSONAL ACCOUNT INFORMATION OTHER THAN NAME, ADDRESS AND DATES MAY BE REDACTED PRIOR TO SUBMITTING
|First Time Applicant|
|Certificate on file from Previous Year|
|First Time Applicant|
(PROOF #1 not a Nassau County Address)