Q Which colleges require a Certificate of Residence?
A Only New York State community colleges participate in the COR program (and F.I.T.). Click here to see which schools utilize the Certificate of Residency.

Q Why do I need a Certificate of Residence?
A Because without it, you will be billed as an out-of state resident, which means a higher tuition rate (double in some cases) than if you had a COR on file with your school. This allows them to bill your County of Residence to subsidize your tuition.

Q How do I get a Nassau County Certificate of Residency?
A Certificates can only be obtained by mailing the completed and notarized affidavit, along with the proper proof of residency and photo id, to this office. Walk-in applications are no longer accepted. Please allow 5-10 business days to receive your Certificate in the mail.

Q Do I need to send anything else other than the affidavit?
A Yes. The Treasurer will not issue a Certificate of Residency without copies of both a photo id and proof of residence for the student. PLEASE REFER TO THE COR GUIDELINES for more information on exactly what you need, YOU MAY NEED MORE THAN JUST ONE FORM OF PROOF.

Q What are considered acceptable forms of photo ID and proof of residence?
A Photo ID can be any of the following. Make sure copies are clear:

  • Drivers License or Learners Permit *
  • School Issued Photo ID
  • Passport
  • Leisure Pass
  • Work ID
  • Permanent Resident Card
Proof of residence can be any of the following in the STUDENT'S NAME. Address and date of issue must be visible. Please refer to the COR Guidelines for more info on the dates necessary on your proofs:

  • Bank Statement
  • Drivers License or Learners Permit
  • Utility Bill (cell phone, electric, cable etc.)
  • Credit Card Bill
  • NYS Income Tax Return (current year only. If student does not file then use parent's return with IRS form itemized as a dependent)
  • Anything with New York State letterhead (TAP award paperwork etc.)
  • High School report card or Official Transcript (Report cards good for the date of issue, Official Transcripts prove residency for full attendance periods reflected in transcript.)
Q My school says I need to get a new COR each semester. Is this true?
A NO. Once activated a certificate is valid for 12-months from the date it is issued.
(For example: if you received a COR on 2-15-10 and attend the 2010 Spring term, it will still be valid for the 2010 Fall term) NASSAU COUNTY WILL NOT ISSUE A CERTIFICATE OF RESIDENCY TO A STUDENT WITH A VALID CERTIFICATE ON FILE UNLESS IT IS WITHIN 60-DAYS OF EXPIRATION.

Q How do I activate a COR?
A Register for class within 60-days of the issue date of the COR, and attend the class. This activates the certificate. If a COR is notused within the sixty-day parameter, the certificate becomes invalid. At this point, a new COR must be obtained for further use. Note: if you fully withdraw from classes this inactivates the COR.

Q I have a COR for the community college I attend during the day, and I want to take an online course with another college at night. Do I need a to get another COR?
A No.  But we will need to add your school to your existing COR, contact us if this is the case.  If necessary we can send you
a copy of your updated COR with the added school.

Q Can I get a COR for a class I took last semester?
A No. Nassau County will not honor certificates retroactively. The deadline is the last day of classes to receive credit for that particular term (or 30-days from commencement of class for those terms shorter than 30-days).

Q Does the Certificate of Residency cost anything?
A No, its free.

Q Where can I get a blank COR application form?
A Forms can be downloaded here, you can walk in to our office and pick one up, or you can get one from your school. Please request the Nassau County Application from your school, this will help us process your certificate quicker.

Q If my application is denied for any reason, can I appeal ?
A Yes, you can write to the Chancellor of Community Colleges to file a Certificate of Residence appeal at the State University of New York, State University Plaza, Albany, NY 12246.