Office of Housing
The Housing Choice Voucher Program, formerly known as Section 8, is a federally-funded program administered by the Nassau County Office of Housing on behalf of New York State. The Office of Housing is the Local Administrator for the New York State New York State Homes & Community Renewal (HCR) Housing Choice Voucher program.
Its purpose is to provide housing assistance to eligible families. The program helps families obtain safe, healthy homes by subsidizing a portion of each tenant’s monthly rent and paying it directly and promptly to the property owner. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) funds the program and provides regulations and guidelines for the Nassau County Office of Housing.
The Office of Housing oversees the following programs:
- Housing Choice Vouchers - Section 8 Tenant Based Vouchers
- Project Based Vouchers
- Homeownership Vouchers
Tenant Based Vouchers
- Increase affordable housing choices for families with income below 50% of the area median income.
- Families with a tenant-based voucher choose and lease safe, decent, and affordable privately owned rental housing that meets HUD’s Housing Quality Standards (HQS) and has a reasonable rent as compared to other units in the area.
Project Based Vouchers
The Nassau County office of Housing participates in the federal project-based voucher program. The project-based voucher program is for people with low income who are willing to live in specific housing units that are offered to them. Owners select families for occupancy of a particular unit after screening each eligible family on a PHA's housing choice voucher waiting list that is interested in moving into the specific project.
Families may request tenant-based voucher, if available, after one year if they remain in the unit in good standing.
Please visit the Office of Community Development’s webpage if you are looking for information relating to:
- Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program
- Emergency Solutions Grants (ESG) Program
- HOME Investment Partnership Program (HOME)