- Section 8 Tenant Based Vouchers – “Housing Choice Vouchers”
- Family Unification
- Project Based Vouchers
- Home Ownership Vouchers
Section 8 Tenant Based Vouchers - "Housing Choice Vouchers"
- Increase affordable housing choices for families with income below 50% of the area median income.
- Families with a tenant-based voucher choose and lease safe, decent, and affordable privately owned rental housing that meets HUD's Housing Quality Standards (HQS) and has a reasonable rent as compared to other units in the area.
Family Unification Voucher
- Enable families to lease decent, safe and sanitary housing.
- Family Unification Vouchers are made available to families for whom the lack of adequate housing is a primary factor in the separation, or threat of imminent separation, of children from their families or in the prevention of reunifying the children with their families.
- Families are eligible for these vouchers if they meet two conditions:
- The public child welfare agency has certified that it is a family for whom the lack of adequate housing is a primary factor in the imminent placement of the family's child, or children, in out-of-home care, or in the delay of discharge of a child, or children, to the family from out-of-home care.
- The housing agency has determined the family is eligible for a housing choice voucher.
Project Based Vouchers
- Project Based Vouchers are a component of the housing agency's housing choice voucher program.
- A housing agency can attach up to 20% of its voucher assistance to specific housing units if the owner agrees to either rehabilitate or construct the units, or the owner agrees to set aside a portion of the units in an existing development.
- Rehabilitated units must require at least $1,000 of rehabilitation per unit to be subsidized, and all units must meet HUD housing quality standards.
- Owners select families for occupancy of a particular unit after screening each eligible family on a PHA's housing choice voucher waiting list that is interested in moving into the specific project.
Home Ownership Vouchers
- Home Ownership Vouchers assist first-time homeowners with their monthly home ownership expenses.
- The home must pass an initial housing quality standard inspection conducted by the housing agency and an independent home inspection before the housing agency may approve the purchase by the family.