Wantagh, 1 King Road, just south of Merrick Road
On-site staff: Yes
Click here for Google map
A couple enjoy the beautiful water view at Wantagh Park
NEWS BRIEF: Beginning Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day, non-Nassau County residents will be charged a $10 parking fee on weekends.
Wantagh Park, located in southeastern Nassau County, has been part of the county park system
since 1961. Consisting of 111 acres, the park
provides a waterfront location and numerous opportunities for recreation, along with seating areas that allow visitors to relax and enjoy the magnificent view. Among the more unique events taking place at the park is the annual Basset Hound Olympics, which draws particpants from around the New York area.
Sports Institute’s Multi Sport Camps:
5-12 • Boys & Girls
The US Sports Institute Multi Sports Camp is the original multi sports camp where your child has the opportunity to play up to 16 different sports from around the world in one fun packed week!
With a wide variety of fun filled activities, each USSI Multi Sport camp offers your child a unique insight into the world of sportthat they’ll never forget. Designed to inspire learning through a range of physical activities and game; our Multi Sport camps are delivered in a low pressure, yet high energy environment, allowing your child to excelin up to 16 sports.
- There are five tennis courts (Leisure
- and one basketball court.
- Athletic fields include three softball fields and one baseball field, two of which are lighted (permits required).
- There are 1-mile and 2-mile walking paths
that can also be used for bicycle riding and jogging.
- A two-mile Fitness Trail that provides a jogging or walking trail and 20 attractive and simple fitness stations that incorporate a variety of exercises. These include stretching, pull-ups, sit-ups and balance walking exercises that increase slightly in difficulty as the trail proceeds. The trail begins by the entrance to the park and winds around the park before ending by the marina. See "News & Events below for more information.
- A playground located at the north end of the park has apparatus appropriate for toddlers through teens.
- There are eight reserved (fee) picnic areas, which include barbecue equipment, and one sheltered area (permit required).
Leisure Pass and fee required for reserved areas.
There is also a section available for small non-reserved picnic groups. See "News & Events" below for more information.
|The large swimming complex offers a variety of different pools and activities for children and adults.
- A swimming complex (fee required) includes an Olympic-sized main pool, a diving pool, a “kiddie” pool, training pool, an interactive water-play area and two
waterslides (30 foot).
- The pool complex includes various conveniences, including lockers, showers, a concession stand, and lounge and deck chairs.
- Hours: Mon.-Sun., 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Fees (daily): resident adult, $7; resident child (4-17 years of age), $5; resident senior, disabled, vol. firefighter, ambulance corps auxiliary police, veterans, $3; non-resident adult, $25, non-resident senior & child, $19. A Leisure Pass is required for residents to receive the resident rate.
Seasonal passes are also available for residents with Leisure Passes, with rates as follows: families ($225); individuals ($90); and seniors ($50).
Boating & fishing:
- Launch ramp permits are available seasonally or daily (fee required; permit obtainable at the Park Administration Office).
- A fishing pier just beyond the marina is open year-round,
- Marine boat slips are also available.
- A dog run includes separate areas for big and small dogs; it is located just up from the administation building. Please note that dogs are not allowed in any County parks or preserves, with the exception of the dog runs.
- Bocci and horseshoe courts are available, along with a game area for chess and checkers and a senior citizen gazebo.
Take the Southern State Parkway to Exit 27 South (Wantagh Parkway). Exit off the Wantagh Parkway at Sunrise Highway East. Make a right onto Wantagh Avenue. Take to the end and make right onto Merrick Road. At first light make a left into park.
Patrons at Wantagh
Park enjoy the fishing pier just beyond the marina.
Just Because the Summer Recreation Program is Over, Doesn’t
Mean That Camp Has to End!
New for Summer 2013, we are pleased to announce that
we are working with the US Sports Institute to offer 2 weeks of a Sports
Camp running August 12-15 and August 19-22. The camps will take place at
Cantiague Park in Hicksville or Wantagh Park in Wantagh, 9am-12:30pm for
$149 or 9am-3pm for $179, we also have an extended day option for an additional
$25 that runs until 5pm.
TOTAL PLAY MULTI SPORTS SUMMER CAMP (age 5 to 12): Experience over 16 different sports from around the world including, soccer, basketball, lacrosse, volleyball, cricket, floor hockey and more at this camp. Players will receive technical instruction, have the chance to experience the sport in a realistic game situation, and will participate in the exciting USSI World Cup Competition.
County Parks Begin Accepting Picnic Reservations in February
Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano announces that picnic reservations for the coming season may be made at Nassau County parks beginning in February. Reservations can be made for the following parks:
Reservations must be made in person at park locations, and a valid Leisure Pass and appropriate payment (fees depend upon group size) must be presented to obtain a confirmed reservation. Payment can be made by cash, check (made out to “Treasurer of Nassau County”) or credit card (at some locations). “Rain-or-shine” shelter areas are available at Cedar Creek Park, Rev. Arthur Mackey Sr. Park, Nickerson Beach Park and Wantagh Park.
County regulations require that 75% of all picnic participants be Nassau County residents. A special permit is required for the use of alcoholic beverages, and this permit must be purchased at least one week in advance of any reserved or unreserved picnic. To make catering arrangements, patrons must contact the park concessionaire, Dover Caterers, at 516-933-4444, ext. 12 or 16. Picnic reservations must be secured from the individual park before catering can be arranged.
Nassau County Introduces New Fitness Trail in Wantagh Park
Nassau County has unveiled the Parks Department ’s third fitness trail, located in Wantagh Park. The 2-mile trail joins similar trails that have been installed during the past year at Eisenhower Park in East Meadow and Christopher
Morley Park in Roslyn-North Hills.
The trail, which begins near the entrance to Wantagh Park
and winds around the park before ending by the marina, provides 20 attractive
and simple fitness stations that incorporate a variety of exercises, such
as stretching, pull-ups, sit-ups and balance walking. Each station has posted
instructions that include additional information, including target heart
The cost of the stations was underwritten by the Nassau County Sports Commission and installation was done by volunteers from Deloitte Tax LLP on Long Island. The low-maintenance fitness stations are made of a mix of treated Southern yellow pine timbers and steel tubing.