|Cantiague Park's new artificial turf field accommodates football, soccer and lacrosse, including night games.
Hicksville, West John Street east of Cantiague Rock Road
On-site staff: Yes
Click here for Google map
CANTIAGUE PARK HAS BEEN PART OF the county park system since 1961 and is centrally located in Hicksville, just off the Northern State Parkway and east of the Wantagh State Parkway. When the park opened, it represented the second major park the County managed, in addition to Eisenhower Park. Cantiague Park was built in response to the needs of a growing County population. It was also the first park offering a swimming pool and an artificial skating rink. This 127-acre park offers the following activities:
- There are five lighted tennis courts (Leisure Pass and fee required);
- six lighted handball/paddleball courts;
- and three lighted basketball courts.
- Athletic fields, lighted for night play, include four softball fields and four multi-sport fields (two lighted). Soccer, football, lacrosse and rugby are played on the multi-sport fields. All sports fields require permits and fees (Leisure Pass required; call 516-571-7056).
- In the summer of 2008, the park opened a new and beautiful artificial turf field that accommodates football, soccer and lacrosse and is lighted for night play.
- An 18-hole miniature golf course.
- Fees: Leisure Pass holders, $7 for those 13 years of age and older, $4 for seniors with Leisure Pass; non-Leisure Pass holders, $10; $4 for all children (under 13 years of age).
In the event of rain, please call to ensure the course is open.
Hours: Starting at the end of June, hours of operation are 10 am - 9 pm daily. Please call for spring hours.
- A playground provides activities for children of varying ages, from pre-schoolers to teens.
- There are two reserved picnic areas (Leisure Pass required and fee; to reserve, call 516-571-7056) and one non-reserved family area. See more information below under "News & Events."
- Cantiague features a 9-hole, par-30 golf course. The course is 1,878 yards, with holes ranging from 150 yards to 272 yards.
- In addition, the park has an illuminated driving range (fee). Click here for link to Nassau County Golf.
- Cantiague’s indoor ice skating rink is a magnificent facility that is used by recreational skaters and hockey teams. The rink has also played host to Olympic gold medalists such as Nancy Kerrigan, who performed there in 2004, and was the New York Islanders (National Hockey League) practice facility from 1979 to 1992. Skating lessons are available, as is a skate rental. Ice rentals are also available on weekdays until 3 p.m., with fees of $415 per hour for proprietary groups and $325 for nonprofits. The rink also has a snack bar and bleacher seating. A fee is charged at the rink.
- The rink underwent a extensive renovation over the summer of 2010. See information below under "News & Events."
- The swimming pool complex, named by News12 Long Island viewers as the best outdoor swimming facility on Long Island, includes an Olympic-sized pool, two water slides, a diving pool, a “kiddie” pool, a training pool and an interactive water-play area. Lockers, showers and a refreshment area are located near the pool. Fee required, with Leisure Pass holders eligible for a discount.
- Hours: Mon.-Sun., 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Fees (daily): resident adult with Leisure Pass, $7; resident child with Leisure Pass (4-17 years of age), $5; resident senior, disabled, vol. firefighter, ambulance corps auxiliary police, veterans with Leisure Pass $3; non-resident adult, $25, non-resident child, $19.
Family ($225), individual ($90) and senior ($50) memberships are also available. A Leisure Pass is required for residents to receive the resident rate.
- In the gaming area next to the playground, there are shuffleboard courts, a
bocce court, and tables with inlaid chess and checker boards.
To reach Cantiague Park, take the Long Island Expressway to Exit 41 South (Broadway). Take fork (106/107) to West John Street. Turn right onto West John and proceed to Cantiague Park. The entrance is on your right.
Take the Southern State Parkway to Exit 29 North (Hicksville Road). Proceed approximately 3-5 miles into Hicksville. Turn left onto West John Street and proceed to Cantiague Park. The entrance is on your right.
Mangano: Santa’s Mailboxes Arrive in County Parks from North Pole
Mineola, NY – Nassau County Executive Edward P. Mangano today announced that the children of Nassau County will once again be able to send their holiday lists directly to Old St. Nick at the North Pole via a special network of Santa’s Mailboxes at Nassau County Parks, beginning Friday, November 22nd through Monday, December 16th.
The Nassau County Department of Parks, Recreation and Museums will forward letters to Santa at the North Pole. Letters received by Monday, December 16th with a legible name and return address will be answered by Santa before the holiday. There is no postage necessary.
Colorful red and green mailboxes will be accessible from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. daily at the administration buildings of the following parks:
- Cantiague Park in Hicksville, (571-7056);
- Christopher Morley Park in Roslyn-North Hills, (571-8113);
- Grant Park in Hewlett, (571-7821);
- Rev. Arthur Mackey, Sr. Park in Roosevelt, (571-8692);
- Wantagh Park in Wantagh, (571-7460);
- *Eisenhower Park:
- Lannin House at Parking Field No. 8, (572-0348);
- Nassau Aquatic Center at Parking Field No. 1A, (572-0501); and
- Eisenhower Park Administration Building: Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., (572-0200).
For more information about Santa’s mailboxes, please call (516) 572-0396 weekdays from 9:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., or visit Park’s Department website at: www.nassaucountyny.gov/parks.
Mangano Announces Holiday Celebration Calendar of Events
East Meadow, NY – Nassau County Executive Edward P. Mangano today announced the dates of the annual holiday events and celebrations that take place around Nassau County.
“I invite residents and visitors to pause their busy schedules to enjoy Nassau’s wonderful holiday celebrations,” said County Executive Mangano.
Nassau’s Holiday Celebration Calendar of Events:
Now – December 20th: Toys for Tots Holiday Gift Drive (call 516-571-6000 for more information)
November 22nd – December 16th: Mail Your Letters to Santa
December 1st at 4:00 p.m.: Holiday Spectacular at the Butler Building at Mitchel Athletic Complex (tickets required)
December 2nd at 6:00 p.m.: Menorah Lighting in Eisenhower Park with Rabbi Perl of Chabad of Mineola
December 3rd at 5:30 p.m.: Tree Lighting in Eisenhower Park
December 7th at 12:00 p.m.: Santa in the Park at Wantagh Park Community Clubhouse
December 8th at 12:00 p.m.: Gingerbread University at Old Bethpage Village Restoration (reservation required)
December 13th, 14th, 15th, 20th, 21st, and 22nd at 5:00 p.m.: “Candlelight Evenings” at Old Bethpage Village Restoration
Toys for Tots Holiday Gift Drive drop-off boxes for new, unwrapped toys will be located at the following Nassau County locations through December 20th:
- Eisenhower Park, Main Lobby of Administration Building
- 100 Carman Avenue, Main Lobby of Corrections/Sherriff’s Department
- 40 Main Street, in front of Suite C Office
- 16 Cooper Street, Main Lobby of Traffic and Parking Violations Agency
- One West Street, Main Lobby
- 1550 Franklin Avenue, Main Lobby of Theodore Roosevelt Executive and Legislative Building
- 1490 Franklin, Nassau County Police Department, 2nd Floor Training wing
- 240 Old Country Road, Main Lobby
- 262 Old Country Road, Main Lobby of District Attorney’s Office
- 400 County Seat Drive, Nassau County Probation Department, Director’s Office
- 200 County Seat Drive, Main Lobby of Consumer Affairs
- 60 Charles Lindbergh Blvd., Department of Social Services, outside cafeteria
- 106 Charles Lindbergh Blvd., Health Department, kitchen
- 1194 Prospect Avenue, DPW/Fire Marshal, 2nd Floor Reception
Colorful red and green “Mail Your Letters to Santa” mailboxes will be accessible from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. daily at the administration buildings of the following parks:
- Cantiague Park in Hicksville (571-7056)
- Christopher Morley Park in Roslyn-North Hills (571-8113)
- Grant Park in Hewlett (571-7821)
- Rev. Arthur Mackey, Sr. Park in Roosevelt (571-8692)
- Wantagh Park in Wantagh (571-7460)
- Eisenhower Park’s Lannin House at Parking Field No. 6, in East Meadow (572-0348)
- Nassau Aquatic Center at Parking Field No. 1A, in East Meadow (572-0501)
- Nassau County Parks Department’s Administration Building in Eisenhower Park, in East Meadow (572-0396); Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
All children who send letters to Santa will receive a reply in the form of a “Santa-Gram” from the North Pole, with Santa’s elves at the Parks Department pitching in to send cheery but noncommittal letters in response to children’s letters. To assure a reply, each letter must contain the child’s name and address, written legibly. There is no postage necessary for the Santa letters. The “Santa-Grams” will be sent before the holiday.
For more information about the Department of Parks, Recreation and Museums, please call: (516) 572-0200 or visit: www.nassaucountyny.gov/parks.
County Parks Begin Accepting Picnic Reservations in February
Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano announces that picnic reservations for the coming season may be made at Nassau County parks beginning in February. Reservations can be made for the following parks:
Reservations must be made in person at park locations, and a valid Leisure Pass and appropriate payment (fees depend upon group size) must be presented to obtain a confirmed reservation. Payment can be made by cash, check (made out to “Treasurer of Nassau County”) or credit card (at some locations). “Rain-or-shine” shelter areas are available at Cedar Creek Park, Rev. Arthur Mackey Sr. Park, Nickerson Beach Park and Wantagh Park.
County regulations require that 75% of all picnic participants be Nassau County residents. A special permit is required for the use of alcoholic beverages, and this permit must be purchased at least one week in advance of any reserved or unreserved picnic. To make catering arrangements, patrons must contact the park concessionaire, Dover Caterers, at 516-933-4444, ext. 12 or 16. Picnic reservations must be secured from the individual park before catering can be arranged.