1899 Hempstead Turnpike, East Meadow NY 11554 ‐ 516 572 0347
|The large and beautiful Veterans Memorial honors Americans who have served the country in war.|
A 930-ACRE OASIS OF OPEN SPACE AND RECREATION in the heart of Nassau County, Eisenhower Park is one of the largest public spaces in the New York metropolitan area – larger, in fact, than Central Park. The park offers a full range of athletic and family activities, including one of the finest swimming facilities in the U.S., a major golf facility, dozens of athletic fields and courts, picnic areas, summertime entertainment, playgrounds, fitness trails and more.
During the Depression, the owners were unable to pay taxes and the property was taken over by the county. Subsequently, the county acquired additional land in the area. In 1944, Nassau County Park at Salisbury was established as part of County Executive J. Russell Sprague’s vision to create a park that "one day will be to Nassau County what Central Park is today to New York City." The park was officially dedicated in October of 1949.
The park was rededicated on October 13, 1969, as the Dwight D. Eisenhower Memorial Park at a ceremony attended by the 34th President’s grandson, Dwight D. Eisenhower II, and his wife, Julie Nixon Eisenhower. On October 13, 2013, a statue of our 34th President was dedicated.
|The Nassau County Aquatic Center is one of the finest indoor swimming facilities in the U.S., playing host to County residents as well as competitive events featuring some of the worlds top swimmers.|
- are 14 lighted tennis courts and 2 Pickleball courts, near Parking Fields No. 2
and 4. For information during summer, call 572-0347.
Long Island’s premier Northwell Health Ice Center consists of two indoor, NHL-sized skating rinks, as well as one outdoor rink.
- Athletic fields, several lighted for night play, include 14 ballfields, 2 cricket fields and two football fields.
- The park’s world-class Nassau County Aquatic Center includes a fitness center (Leisure Pass and fee required).
- There is one full-court basketball court, outfitted with new fiberglass backboards, located on the Hempstead Turnpike.
- In the summer of 2007, the park introduced a two-mile Fitness Trail that provides a jogging or walking trail and 20 attractive and simple fitness stations that incorporate a variety of exercises. These include stretching, pull-ups, sit-ups and balance walking exercises that increase slightly in difficulty as the trail proceeds. The trail is on the west side of Park Boulevard bisecting the park, with the first station located near the field house and playground by Parking Field No. 2 (near Hempstead Turnpike). From there, the trail winds north past the Aquatic Center and Lakeside Theatre and then heads south back toward the starting point.
- Eisenhower features three excellent 18-hole golf courses open to the public: the Red, White and Blue courses. The Red course, which hosted the Commerce Bank (PGA) Championship, has been called by Newsday one of the "Top 10" public golf courses on Long Island. Call 572-0327/0328 (Leisure Pass and fee required).
- In addition, the park has an illuminated driving range; call 572-0336.
|The youngesters enjoys the climing apparatus at the newly renovated main playground area.|
- An 18-hole Miniature Golf Course near the Nassau County Aquatic Center is a popular attraction for children and families. The course, which has been named "Best of Long Island" by News 12 Long Island, features two 18-hole courses (“Orange” and “Blue”) with terraced landscaping that incorporates a waterfall, small ponds, flower beds and several challenging holes. Monday-Friday 3-9pm last ticket sold at 830
Saturday and Sunday 1pm-9pm last ticket sold at 830
- Fees: Adult with Leisure Pass $10; Adult without Leisure Pass: $16; Children 12 and under, seniors, disabled, veterans, aux. police, active volunteer firefighter and ambulance driver with Leisure Pass: $7
- Eisenhower Park Splash and Sprinkler Fun for Kids – Closed for the Season
- EISENHOWER PARK, Hempstead Turnpike and Merrick Avenue, East Meadow, 516-572-0348. Three playground areas at Field 2 including a free splash pool featuring a large sprinkler ring with multiple spray heads. (CLOSED FOR SEASON) Free to all.
- (Batting Cages are currently out of order.)There is a Batting Cage with nine separate batting areas offering varying pitching speeds for baseball or a softball option. Baseball speeds as follows: fast, 80-85 mph; medium, 60-65 mph; and slow, 40-45 mph.
Fees: $7 for 25 pitches for Leisure Pass holders; $9 for non-Leisure Pass holders.
Open May through Mid-October. In the event of rain, please call to ensure that they are open. Information: 516-572-0407
- There are three playground areas with a range of activities for children: the largest (which includes a sprinkler pool, climbing apparatus, slides, swings, fitness equipment and other attractions) is located on the Hempstead Turnpike side of the park near Parking Field No. 2; a second is on the Merrick Ave. side by Parking Field No. 1A; and a third by the Park Boulevard side toward Hempstead Turnpike by Parking Field No. 4 is called ” Let All the Children Play,” with apparatus suitable for abled and disabled children to plan harmoniously, with no barriers to activity.
- There are reserved picnic areas (Leisure Pass and fee required; call 572-0347) and non-reserved areas.
- The Children’s Safety Town summer program has made some changes. The morning and afternoon program MUST BE SCHEDULED IN ADVANCE and is BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. If interested in having your Nassau County third grader participate in the program call 516 573-3190. The program runs from July through August, Monday through Friday.
- Built in 1998 for the Goodwill Games, the Nassau County Aquatic Center at Eisenhower Park is one of the finest swimming facilities in the U.S. It regularly hosts major swimming competitions and is also open to the public (Leisure Pass and fee required). The center offers a full menu of swimming lessons for toddlers, youngsters and teens. The Center includes a “stretch” 50-meter pool that is 68 meters long, with three movable bulkheads. There is also a 25-meter diving well with competition diving towers, platforms and springboards. In addition, there is a beautifully renovated fitness center, located above the pool (Leisure Pass and fee required). Call 572-0501 for information.
|The annual “Celebrate America” fireworks & show at Harry Chapin Lakeside Theatre.|
- The Harry Chapin Lakeside Theatre is an outdoor theater that hosts a full schedule of entertainment events during the summer, from concerts to movies.
- The large and beautiful Veterans Memorial and Walls of Honor commemorate the contributions of the nation’s veterans in various branches of service.
- On September 9, 2007, the County unveiled the 9/11 Memorial honoring the 348 Nassau County residents who lost their lives during the September 11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center. The monument, one of the largest completed memorials to the victims of the 9/11 attacks, is located by Eisenhower Park Lake, near Lakeside Theatre. The monument includes two stainless-steel towers set in a fountain as well as two steel girders recovered from the World Trade Center and plaques memorialize the names of County residents who lost their lives.
- There are two memorials to Nassau County firefighters who have died in the line of duty, including one dedicated to those county firefighters who lost their lives during the 9/11 terrorist attacks. The memorials are located adjacent to the Veterans Memorial near Park Boulevard.
- In the gaming area next to the playground, there is a bocci court and tables with inlaid chess and checker boards. A shelter with benches and tables is also available for those who wish to play cards and other similar games.
- The Mid Island Dahlia Society meets in the park every Sunday from 9am to 11am. from between June and October in the area just behind the Parks Department Administration Building near the Hempstead Turnpike entrance to the park.
Park Closes at DUSK except where designated by the Parks Commissioner.
- Eisenhower Park is home to The Carltun restaurant, a privately run facility operated in a former country club. The Carltun offers a restaurant, bar, banquet facilities and a meeting room.
- Take Meadowbrook Parkway North to Exit M3 East/Stewart Avenue. Make a right onto Stewart Avenue and take this until you reach the park.
- Take Meadowbrook Parkway South to Exit M3/Stewart Avenue. Make a left onto Stewart Avenue and take this until you reach the park.