The Biology Section functions to supply the criminal justice system and community of Nassau County with a state-of-the-art forensic DNA testing facility. The DNA laboratory conducts scientific analysis on biological evidence related to criminal investigations.
Services Provided & Test Methods
The following is a list of general services provided and methodology utilized in the examination of forensic evidence by the Biology Section:
- Individualization of unknown biological fluids
- Confirmation and presumptive testing of biological fluids (including blood, semen, and saliva)
- Forensic DNA analysis including forensic paternity testing using short tandem repeat analysis
- Entry and search of DNA profiles in CODIS (Combined, DNA Index System)
- Offer training to law enforcement agencies
- Preparation of scientific reports
- Expert testimony
The Biology Section maintains information on-site regarding the exact test methods used in examination and analysis. This information is available to our submitting agencies and customers upon request. Contact the Director or Quality Assurance Manager regarding these inquiries.
DNA results may be entered into the Combined DNA Index System (CODIS) in accordance with State and National regulations where regular searches will be performed. Notifications will be issued if a match in the database occurs or if DNA results are removed from CODIS.
The Biology Section strives to provide the highest quality forensic testing services to our customers in a timely fashion. The laboratory management welcomes feedback regarding both positive observations as well as suggestions for improvement of laboratory services.
Please use our Laboratory Services Feedback Forms which can be returned by Email or facsimile.