The Firearms Section functions to supply the criminal justice system and community of Nassau County with a state-of-the-art forensic Firearms examination facility. The Firearms section conducts independent scientific analysis on physical evidence including firearms, ammunition, and expended components of ammunition that are collected by law enforcement agencies within Nassau County.
Services Provided & Test Methods
The following is a list of general services provided by the Firearms Section:
- Perform operability examinations on submitted firearms
- Classify submitted questioned expended items of ammunition
- Microscopically examine and compare questioned expended items of ammunition collected from scenes to determine if they originated from the same weapon
- Microscopically examine and compare known test fired expended items of ammunition with questioned expended items of ammunition to determine if the questioned expended items were fired within a particular firearm.
- Acquire and search images of expended casings in the NIBIN database
- Offer training to law enforcement agencies
- Preparation of scientific reports
- Expert testimony
Images of expended ballistic evidence may be entered into the National Integrated Ballistic Information Network (NIBIN). All images in the NIBIN system are retained indefinitely.
The Firearms Section strives to provide the highest quality forensic testing services to our customers in a timely fashion. The laboratory management welcomes feedback regarding both positive observations as well as suggestions for improvement of laboratory services. Please use our which can be returned by Email or facsimile.
General Laboratory Inquiries
Laboratory Director: Pasquale Buffolino, Ph.D.
Quality Assurance Coordinator: Mark Gil, M.S.
Evidence Intake Inquiries
Wesley Krupp, B.S., Forensic Scientist IV
Jonathan Fox, B.S., Forensic Scientist III
Electronic Case Inquiries
(For Official Use Only)
Nassau County Medical Examiner’s Office
Division of Forensic Services
1194 Prospect Avenue
Westbury, NY 11590