Employment / Public Accommodation
Complete the Complaint Form (PDF) and mail to:
Nassau County Commission on Human Rights
240 Old Country Road
Mineola, NY 11501
What is Prohibited?
It shall be an Unlawful Discriminatory Act if any of the following occurs because of the actual or perceived race, color, creed, national origin, disability, age, religion, gender, source of income, or sexual orientation of any such individual.
- An employer may not refuse to hire or discharge from employment or discriminate in compensation or in terms, conditions, or privileges of employment
- An employment agency may not discriminate in referring an applicant or applicants to an employer or employers
- A labor organization may not exclude or expel from its membership or discriminate against any of its members or against any employer or any individual employed by an employer
- Employment advertisements and application forms may not directly or indirectly restrict a job to certain people by specification
- Any employer, labor organization, or employment agency may not discharge or otherwise discriminate against any person because he has opposed any practices forbidden under this title or because he had filed a complaint, testified, or assisted in any proceeding under this title.
It shall be an unlawful discriminatory practice for an employer, labor organization, employment agency or any joint labor management committee controlling apprentice training programs because of the actual or perceived race, color, creed, national origin, disability, age, religion, gender, source of income, or sexual orientation of any such individual:
- To refuse any persons for an apprentice training program registered with the state of New York on any basis other than their lack of qualifications as determined by objective criteria which permit review.
- To discriminate against any person in their pursuit of such programs or discriminate against such a person in the terms, conditions or privileges of such programs
- To print or circulate or cause to be printed or circulated any statement, advertisement, or publication, or to use any form of application for such programs or to make any inquiry in connection with such program which expresses, directly or indirectly, any limitation, specification, or discrimination
It shall be an unlawful discriminatory practice for any place of public accommodation to refuse or deny a person any of the accommodations, advantages, or privileges thereof, or, to publish, issue, display, post, or mail any written or printed communication, notice, or advertisement to the effect that any of the accommodation, advantages, and privileges of any such place shall be refused or denied to any person because of the actual or perceived race, color, creed, national origin, disability, age, religion, gender, source of income, or sexual orientation of any such individual.
- No person shall aid, abet, incite, compel, or coerce the doing of any of the acts forbidden under this title, or attempt to do so.
- It is unlawful to retaliate or discriminate against any person because he or she has opposed any practices forbidden under the title or because he has filed a complaint, testified, or assisted in any proceeding under this title.