Lifeguard Instruction Course
Information for Winter Lifeguard Instruction Course is as follows:
LIFEGUARD INSTRUCTION COURSERegistration starts: Sunday, Feb. 7th at 9 am
Pre-Test: Sunday, February 14th @ 9 am
Class Day & time: Sundays, 9 am-1 pm
Dates: February 28, 2016 – April 17, 2016 (no class on 3/27)
Cost: $250.00 (includes class/book/materials)
$6.00 class registration fee (due when signing up for pre-test)
- Participants must be at least 16 years old before the last date of the class.
- Registrants must pass a pre-test in order to participate in the class. Pre-test requirements are listed below.
- Registration is first come, first serve. Class size is limited to 10 spots. A Nassau Cty. Leisure Pass is required at time of registration.
- After 10 spots are filled, a waitlist will be formed to fill in any pre-test failures. There is no fee to be placed on the waitlist.
- The $250 fee to be paid before the first class starts but only after passing the pre-test.
- No absences are permitted. Registration fees are non-refundable.
- Swim 300 yards continuously using these strokes in the following order: 100 yards front crawl using rhythmic breathing and a stabilizing propellant kick; 100 yards of breaststroke using a pull, breathe, kick and glide sequence; and 100 yards of either front crawl using rhythmic breathing or breaststroke. These 100 yards may be a mixture of front crawl and breaststroke. (Note: There is no time requirement for this skill. The participant must show only that he or she can swim 300 yards using the above strokes without stopping.)
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke; surface dive to a depth of 7-10 feet of water, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to surface, and swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1 minute, 40 seconds. The time is complete once the participant has exited the water and is standing up on the pool deck.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only your legs. Candidates should place their hands under their arm pits.
ALL SCHEDULES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE