- Fire Commission
- Informational Sheets
- Prohibited Indoor Use of Pyrotechnic Displays
Prohibited Indoor Use of Pyrotechnic Displays
June 7, 2018
To: Nassau County Fire Departments, Town / City / Village Building Departments, Business and Property Owners, Restaurant, Bar and Catering Hall Operators.
Use of Pyrotechnic Displays, Cold Spark Fountains and Sparkling Devices in Assembly Occupancies
Cold Spark Fountain – Any device that emits a shower or fountain of cold sparks.
Pyrotechnic Device – Any device containing pyrotechnic materials and capable of producing a special effect.
Sparkling Device – Any device, ground based, or hand held, that produce a shower of white, gold, or colored sparks as their primary pyrotechnic effect.
The following is the Nassau County Fire Marshal’s Office enforcement policy of the Nassau County Fire Prevention Ordinance and the Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code of New York State regarding the use of Pyrotechnic Displays, Cold Spark Fountains and Sparkling Devices in Assembly Occupancies:
- New York State Penal Law Section 405.00 Sale and use of Sparkling Devices in the County of Nassau remains fully prohibited as per local (Nassau County) law.
- 2015 International Fire Code Section5601.1.3. The possession, manufacture, storage, sale, handling and use of fireworks are prohibited.
- 2017 New York State Uniform Code Supplement Section 5610.5.1 No sparkling devices shall be used in any building or structure.
- 2017 New York State Uniform Code Supplement Section 5610.5.2 No sparkling devices shall be used within ten (10) feet of any building or structure.
- Nassau County Fire Prevention Ordinance Section 26.3 Pyrotechnic Displays. No person or entity shall be permitted to use pyrotechnics in Nassau County except as provided by this Article and in compliance with all relevant federal, state and local laws; ordinances and NFPA 1126.
These devices are commonly used in assembly occupancies and while they seem harmless they are prohibited and can be dangerous in assembly occupancies:
This Fire Marshal Bulletin has been produced to inform business and property owners, restaurant, bar and catering hall operators within the County of Nassau of the extreme danger and illegal activity regarding the use of Pyrotechnic Displays, Cold Spark Fountains and Sparkling Devices in Assembly Occupancies.