Legislative Budget Review
- The Office of Legislative Budget Review is an independent, charter mandated budget office that is part of the County Legislature.
- The director, who is appointed to a 4 year term by the County Legislature and is not an officer of any political party, is responsible for administering the office, hiring its staff, and controlling its budget.
- Preparing fiscal and economic impact statements for proposed local laws.
- To determine the extent to which legislative policies are being faithfully, efficiently, and effectively implemented by administrative officials.
- To determine whether county programs are achieving their legal and desired objectives by a review of the performance and management efficiency of county departments and agencies. However, a review shall be coordinated with the county comptroller when a review includes or requires accounting audits.
- To determine and analyze the soundness of departmental budget estimates and requests for appropriations, revenues, borrowings, and such other fiscal modifications throughout the year.
- To determine and analyze annually the soundness of the proposed county budget and community college budget, including borrowings and taxes.
- To determine whether the county has adequate plans, facilities, organizational arrangements, and management control systems to adequately and effectively accomplish program and legislative policies.
- Such other duties and responsibilities as the County Legislature may assign.
To accomplish these responsibilities the Independent Office of Legislative Budget Review circulates several reports regularly. These reports include:
- Annual Review of the Community College Budget
- Annual Review of the Proposed Capital Plan
- Annual Review of the Proposed Operating Budget
- County Staffing and Salary Analysis
- Economic Reports
- Mid-Year Budget Review
- Monthly Sales Tax Collection Updates
- Quarterly Regional Economic Forecast
The Non-Partisan Budget Review Office also circulates reports pertaining to legislative requests as well as for scheduled hearings.