Child Support Enforcement

For further information please call 1-888-208-4485

Child support services are available to any parent, guardian, or caretaker of a child for whom child support is needed. If you are applying for Public Assistance, or Medicaid, filing for child support from the non-custodial parents is part of the application process. If you are an applicant for, or a recipient of Public Assistance for a child, child support services are automatically provided unless seeking child support may result in physical or emotional harm to you or your child

The Nassau County Office of Child Support Enforcement can work with you to:

  • Locate a non-custodial parent.
  • Establish parentage for a child: We can help you establish parentage by assisting both parents with the signing of a voluntary acknowledgment of parentage or through family court by filing a petition to establish parentage. We also arrange for genetic marker or DNA testing to aid in making a determination about parentage if needed.
  • Obtain a support order from court for a child, including a provision for health care coverage.
  • Enforce unpaid child support: All individuals obligated to pay a child support obligation through the Nassau County Office of Child Support Enforcement are subject to any and all enforcement measures available, as criteria is met.
  • Review your support order for an increased support order based on a cost of living adjustment.
  • Modify your child support order based on changes in circumstances.
  • The above services can be applied to orders originating in other states and reciprocal countries.
     Please note: The nature, extent, amount, and duration of current payments and other obligations of support, and the enforcement and payment of arrears, are determined by the laws of the state that issues the order

The Basic Support Award 

Paid by the non-custodial parent is set at a percentage of combined parental income, depending on how many children are involved:

1 child17%
2 children25%
3 children29%
4 children31%
5 or more at least35%

Percentages: The percentage guideline is applied to almost all parental earnings up to $154,000 (minus certain local and social security tax amounts). This includes worker's compensation, disability payments, unemployment benefits, social security payments, and many other forms of income. After $154,000, the court can choose whether or not to use the percentage guidelines, and it may consider other factors in setting the full support award.

Under certain circumstances, the court may disregard the percentage guidelines and award a different amount. In such instances, the court must provide specific reasons in writing.

The court must increase the basic support award to cover any health care expenses not covered by insurance. The basic award must also be increased to cover reasonable childcare expenses if the custodial parent is working, or in school, or in a vocational training program. In addition, the court may increase the basic award to cover the reasonable education expenses of the child. The non-custodial parent's contribution toward these expenses will be based on both parents' incomes.

When calling or visiting the Child Support Enforcement office, please be prepared to provide as much information about yourself, the child(ren), and the non-custodial parent as you can.

Provide the non-custodial parent's:

  • full name and date of birth.
  • current or last known address and phone number.
  • social security number (look on old pay stubs, tax, military, or medical records).
  • income information (tax records, pay stubs, bank and business records).

Provide the non-custodial parent's:

  • full name and date of birth.
  • current or last known address and phone number.
  • social security number (look on old pay stubs, tax, military, or medical records).
  • income information (tax records, pay stubs, bank and business records).

Provide other Supporting Documentation:

  • Personal Identification
  • Birth Certificate(s) of child(ren) to be included in the support order
  • Signed acknowledgment of paternity or parentage, or order of filiation for each child to be included in the support order (as applicable)
  • Your marriage license.
  • Signed divorce decree, separation agreement, and any stipulations 
  • Any signed child support orders you may have (certified copies are preferred)
  • Any child support payment records that you may have
  • Your income information (tax records, pay stubs, bank records)
  • Information about your child-related expenses (child care) and the child's special
    (medical and educational) needs.

Please note you will be asked to submit four (4) copies of all supporting documentation if a petition is filed.


If you wish to obtain further information regarding our services or need help in filing a child support petition please contact our main office.

Via email at:

Via U.S. mail at:

Nassau County Department of Social Services
60 Charles Lindbergh Blvd. Suite #160
Uniondale, New York 11553-3656

Via telephone at:

Child Support Customer Service Department

Teletypewriter (TTY) number : 1-866-875-9975
Video Relay Service (VRS): 
VRS Information is available
Phone calls are answered between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.
 Monday through Friday

Via fax at: (516) 227-8434

To reduce the spread of the COVID virus the support collection unit is not meeting with customers in person at this time.

Additional information can also be obtained by visiting the New York State Child Support website.

***Effective October 1, 2008, New York State implemented the federal law that requires each state to charge an annual fee of $35.00 for child support services. This fee applies only to parents who have never received public assistance benefits and who have a case with more than $550.00 in support collected during the federal fiscal year. ***

Help ongoing federal efforts to bring fugitive "deadbeat parents" to justice