Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

 Child Care

Back to Top

Child Protective Services

Question: Who Can Make a Report?

Anyone can make a report of Child Abuse and/or Neglect if he/she is suspicious that a child (0-18 years of age) is being neglected or abused. The report is kept confidential, and the source can be anonymous if the reporter is not mandated by law to report.

24 HR HOTLINE 1-800-342-3720



Always call 911 if a real emergency exists.

Back to Top

Child Support Enforcement

How is the child support rate calculated?

The New York State basic support award is paid by the non-custodial parent and the percentage is calculated based on the combined parental income, depending on how many children are involved:

1 child - 17% 

2 children - 25% 

3 children - 29% 

4 children - 31% 

5 or more at least 35%

Who makes the support orders?

In New York the nature, extent, and duration of a child support order is determined by a judge of the Supreme Court or Support Magistrate of the Family Court based on the laws of the State of New York known as the Child Support Standards Act or CSSA.

What does the support order cover?

The order covers the basic cost to care for a child. In addition, the court may add a percentage of child care, medical, and educational expenses to the basic child support amount.

How do I reach someone in child support?

If you wish to obtain further information regarding our services or need help in filing a child support petition please visit our main office located at:

Nassau County Department of Social Services
60 Charles Lindbergh Boulevard Suite #160
Uniondale, New York 11553-3656

Walk-in hours for Child Support is as follows: Monday – Friday 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Our fax number is: (516) 227-8434.
(Please arrive before 3:15 PM if you wish to file your petition on the same day.)

Appointments are not necessary.
Emails are also accepted to Nassau County

All phone inquiries should be made to:

Child Support Customer Service Department:
Teletypewriter (TTY) number: 1-866-875-9975
Video Relay Service (VRS): VRS information
Phone calls are answered between the hours of 8:00am and 7:00pm. Monday through Friday.
For further information please call 1-888-208-4485

What do I need when I call or visit?

When calling or visiting the Child Support Enforcement office, please be prepared to provide as much information about yourself, the child(ren), and the non-custodial parent as you can.

Provide the non-custodial parent's:

  • full name and date of birth.
  • current or last known address and phone number.
  • social security number (look on old pay stubs, tax, military, or medical records).
  • income information (tax records, pay stubs, bank and business records).

Provide other Supporting Documentation:

  • Personal Identification
  • Birth Certificate(s) of child(ren) to be included in the support order
  • Signed acknowledgment of paternity or order of filiation for each child to be included in the support order (as applicable)
  • Your marriage license.
  • Signed divorce decree, separation agreement, and any stipulations (if applicable)
  • Any signed child support orders you may have (certified copies are preferred, if possible)
  • Any child support payment records that you may have
  • Your income information (tax records, pay stubs, bank records)
  • Information about your child-related expenses (child care) and the child's special (medical and educational) needs.

Please note you will be asked to submit four (4) copies of all supporting documentation if a petition is filed.

On-line Child Support Information

Additional information can also be obtained by visiting the New York State Child Support website

Back to Top

Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)

How do I know if I am eligible for HEAP?

How do I apply for HEAP?

Apply Online

Or contact:

  • NYS HEAP Hotline at 1-800-342-3009
  • Nassau County Office for the Aging (those 60 years of age and older can apply here) (516) 227-7386
  • Other Certifiers: EAC, Inc.
    (516) 565-4327

How much help can I receive?

Benefits are available for both regular and emergency HEAP as well as Heating Equipment Repair and Replacement. The benefit amounts differ from year to year.

What if I do not agree with the agency's decision regarding my eligibility?

You can request a Fair Hearing and/or reapply

What do I do if a voucher is sent to the wrong vendor?

Contact the vendor and request that the benefit be returned to Social Services. A duplicate benefit cannot be issued until the refund has been received.

Back to Top


For current Medicaid beneficiaries:

For those subject to a resource test:

Back to Top

Temporary Assistance

How do I know if I am eligible for temporary assistance? 

To find out if you are eligible to receive Temporary Assistance, including help with an emergency, you need to file an application with your county Department of Social Services or, if you live in one of the five boroughs of New York City, with your local Job Center.

You can find the location of your local Department of Social Services online, or by calling the toll-free New York State Temporary Assistance Hotline at 1-800-342-3009.

You must fill out the application form (PDF) and file it at your local department of Social Services. You should identify any emergency needs you may have at this time. If you have an emergency, you will be interviewed and told in writing about the decision on your emergency the same day you apply.

For Temporary Assistance, your interview should be within seven working days of your filing an application. You should be told within 30 days of the date you filed your application if your application for Family Assistance is approved or denied; be told within 45 days of the date you filed your application for Safety Net Assistance if your application is approved or denied.

You DO NOT have to be eligible for ongoing Temporary Assistance to receive Emergency Assistance. 

Back to Top

Medical Transportation

How do I know if I am eligible for medical transportation?

You may be eligible for medical transportation if you are Medicaid eligible and traveling to a medical provider for a service/treatment that is Medicaid billable. All non-emergency transportation must be pre-approved. If you are enrolled in a Managed Care plan or a Managed Long Term Care Plan you should contact your plan first to determine if transportation is provided. If it is not provided or if you are not enrolled in a plan you may call Nassau County's Transportation Coordination vendor, LogistiCare Solutions at 1-877-813-5602 for information and assistance.

What if I do not agree with the agency's decision regarding my eligibility?

If you have been denied transportation services you may appeal by contacting the NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Services fair hearing department by phone or fax. The contact information will be on your denial notice.

Back to Top