Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)


The Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA) is aware of increasing incidents of Temporary Assistance (TA) and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefit theft via EBT card skimming. 

View a video here on how to safeguard your Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) benefits.

Act Fast: Protect Your EBT Benefits Against Skimming Thieves:

Learn about scams targeted at Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) cardholders and how you can protect your benefits at this website:   OTDA EBT Scam Alert

The SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) helps low-income households by supplementing their monthly food budget. Eligible households use an electronic benefit card and PIN (personal ID number) to access their benefits at the supermarket checkout counter, the same way a debit card is used. There are many supermarkets throughout the county where recipients can use their benefit card.

Updated Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP) Standards for October 2023
 Beginning October 1, 2023, some items used to figure the amount of SNAP benefits a household gets will change. These changes are a result of federally required changes.  You can read about the details at these links.

An overview and FAQs about Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) can be accessed at this link:  Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) | OTDA (

How to Apply for SNAP

Nassau County residents can apply on the myBenefits website . Applicants may also mail in their applications which may be obtained by calling (516) 227-8523. Residents may also come in during regular business hours.

Income Guidelines

USDA SNAP Eligibility

Households containing an individual age 60 or over, or one who is permanently disabled, do not have to meet the gross monthly income test.

Expedited SNAP Benefits

If your household has little or no money and requires help right away, you may be able to receive "expedited" benefits to meet your food needs under SNAP. You must be interviewed first in order to determine eligibility. If you qualify, you will receive your initial benefit within five days of application. You will still have to complete the eligibility process and supply all necessary and requested documentation within 30 days.

Applying for or receiving SNAP benefits does not make you a public charge and will not be considered in a public charge determination. 

Applying for or receiving SNAP will not affect your ability to: 

• Remain in the U.S., 

• Get a Green Card/ Lawful Permanent Resident Status, 

• Keep a Green Card/ Lawful Permanent Resident Status, or 

• Become a U.S. citizen. 

Please see the SNAP public charge policy information, located on OTDA’s website at: or pdfs below.

Related Links:

US Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Service

New York State OTDA SNAP

Further Information:

Further information on eligibility for SNAP (food stamp) and other public assistance benefits can be accessed on the myBenefits website.

Nondiscrimination Statement (Aviso sobre Normas Antidiscriminatorias

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity. 

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD[1]3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling (833) 620-1071, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to: 

  1. mail:
    Food and Nutrition Service, USDA
    1320 Braddock Place, Room 334
    Alexandria, VA 22314; or
  2. fax:
    (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

New York State law additionally prohibits discrimination based on race, creed, color, national origin, citizenship or immigration status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, military status, sex disability, marital status, or status as a victim of domestic violence.