- Board of Elections
- Voting Info & Services
Voting Info & Services
How to Register to Vote
Qualifications to Register To Vote
To register you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen;
- Be 18 years old (you may pre-register at 16 or 17 but cannot vote until you are 18);
- Live at your present address at least 30 days before an election;
- Not be in prison for a felony conviction; and
- Not claim the right to vote elsewhere.
How and Where to Register To Vote
You can register in person at the:
Nassau County Board of Elections
240 Old Country Rd (5th Floor)
Mineola, NY 11501 or at any New York State Agency-Based voter registration center.
You can call our 1-800-FOR-VOTE hotline to request a voter application; or
You can download a PDF version of the New York State Voter Registration Form (English Form or Spanish Form). Print the form, complete and sign it, and mail it to us at:
Nassau County Board of Elections
P.O. Box 9002
Mineola, NY 11501
You can voluntarily enroll in any party by indicating your preference on the voter registration form. If you wish to change your enrollment from one party to another or from not-enrolled to a party, send a Voter Registration Form with your new choice to the Board of Elections. To vote in a Primary Election for your new party, your application for a change of party enrollment must be received by the Board of Elections no later than February 14.
If you have moved since you last registered to vote, complete a new registration form and indicate on the form your new address as well as your old address. Address changes cannot be made over the phone. The Board will mail you a confirmation after the information is updated.
Voting by Absentee Ballot
If you are unable to be physically present in Nassau County on Election Day, you may apply for an absentee ballot.
Qualifications to Vote by Absentee Ballot
You may request an absentee ballot if you are:
- Absent from Nassau County on Election Day;
- Unable to appear at the polls due to illness or disability;
- A patient in a Veterans Health Administration Hospital; or
- Detained in jail/prison awaiting trial, awaiting action by a Grand Jury, or in prison for a conviction of a crime or offense which is not a felony.
How to Vote By Absentee Ballot
Applications for Absentee Ballots are available below. You may also download the New York State Absentee Ballot Application Form.
- Applications for an absentee ballot must be received by your county board no later than the 15th day before the election, except they may be delivered to the Board of Elections office in person until the day before the election. See Political Calendar for more information.
- You may also request an Absentee Ballot by sending a letter to your county board of elections. The letter must be received by your county board no later than the 15th day before the election. The letter must contain the following information:
- Your name and date of birth;
- The address where you are registered;
- The address where the ballot is to be sent; and
- The reason for the request.
If requesting an absentee ballot by letter, an application form will be mailed with your ballot. The application form must be completed and returned with your ballot.
If you cannot pick up your ballot, or will not be able to receive it through the mail, you have the right to designate someone to pick it up for you. Only that person designated on your application may pick up your ballot.
If you are permanently ill or disabled, you have the right to receive an Absentee Ballot for each subsequent election without further application. Simply file an Absentee Ballot Application with the Board of Elections indicating for question one that you are requesting an absentee ballot because of a "permanent illness or physical disability." You will then automatically receive an Absentee Ballot for every election until your registration is cancelled.
Voter Registration Search
Not sure if you are registered? Voters who are unsure of their registration status may either call the Nassau County Board of Elections at 571-VOTE (8683) or search the State Board of Elections database.
VOTER REGISTRATION FORM (PDF) (English)
VOTER REGISTRATION FORM (PDF) (Spanish)
ABSENTEE BALLOT APPLICATION (PDF) (English)
ABSENTEE BALLOT APPLICATION (PDF) (Spanish)