Absentee Ballot Application
The information below is for the 2020 General Election. Please check back soon for updated information for 2021.
Qualifications to Vote by Absentee Ballot
A registered voter may request an absentee ballot for any of the following reasons:
- Absence from the county on election day;
- Temporary illness or physical disability (temporary illness includes being unable to appear due to risk of contracting or spreading a communicable disease such as COVID-19);
- Permanent illness or physical disability;
- Duties related to primary care of one or more individuals who are ill or physically disabled;
- Resident of a Veterans Health Administration Hospital; or
- Detention in jail/prison, awaiting trial, awaiting action by a grand jury, or in prison for a conviction of a crime or offense which was not a felony.
How to Request an Absentee Ballot
- Electronically through the New York State Absentee Ballot Application Portal
- By calling (516) 571-VOTE (8683)
- By sending an absentee ballot application to InfoBOE@nassaucountyny.gov
- By faxing an absentee ballot application to (516) 571-2058.
- By mailing an absentee ballot application to: Nassau County Board of Elections, P.O. Box 9002, Mineola, NY 11501
- By sending a letter via mail, email or fax. The letter must include the following information:
- Your name and date of birth;
- The address where you are registered;
- The address where the ballot is to be sent; and
- The reason for the request.
When to Submit Your Request
If sending your absentee ballot application or letter requesting an absentee ballot by mail, email, fax, or electronically, it must be sent at least 7 days before the election. However, we suggest that you apply as early as possible.
If submitting your absentee ballot application or letter requesting an absentee ballot in person, your request must be submitted no later than the day before the election.
Repeat Absentee Ballots
If you are permanently ill or physically disabled, you have the right to receive an absentee ballot for each subsequent election without further application. Simply file an absentee ballot application with the Board of Elections indicating under question one that you are requesting an absentee ballot due to "permanent illness or physical disability." You will then automatically receive an absentee ballot for every election that you are eligible to vote in until your registration is canceled.
Accessible Absentee Ballots
If you are visually impaired or otherwise unable to independently cast a paper absentee ballot, you may request an accessible absentee ballot. An accessible absentee ballot must be requested using the New York State Accessible Absentee Ballot Application Portal or by submitting an accessible absentee ballot application via mail, email or fax no later than 7 days before the election.
How to Submit Your Absentee Ballot
You may mail your absentee ballot to us using the return envelope provided. We recommend that you mail your ballot back as early as possible. You may instead choose to drop off your absentee ballot at our office in Mineola during normal business hours, or at any early voting polling place or election day polling place in Nassau County during the hours the polls are open.