- Video - Become a Foster Parent! (30 sec)
- Video - Become a Foster Parent! (60 sec)
Nassau NASW 2019 Social Worker of the Year
Nassau NASW 2018 Public Citizen of the Year
Paul F. Broderick
Nassau NASW 2017 Agency of the Year
Nassau County DSS selected as Nassau NASW 2017 Agency of the Year
Nassau NASW 2017 Public Citizen of the Year
Lynne Campbell selected as Nassau NASW 2017 Public Citizen of the Year
Find procedures and contacts for filing a complaint with DSS:
Child Welfare—Race Equity: Nassau and Onondaga County Report (PDF), December 2016. Social Work Education Consortium, University at Albany, State University of New York.
The Nassau County Department of Social Services is committed to strengthening and preserving families by providing financial assistance and services to residents of Nassau County in accordance with state and federal regulations and laws. DSS is dedicated to providing quality service and maintaining the dignity and respect of those we serve. Specifically, the Department is responsible for:
- Providing aid to eligible recipients through the Family Assistance, Safety Net, Day Care, Employment, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly called food stamps), Medicaid,and Home Energy Assistance Programs.
- Establishing an initial child support obligation of a legally responsible individual through the Family Court, collecting support payments, enforcing and modifying existing support orders.
- Protecting children, adults, and families by enforcing the mandates of New York State Social Services Law.
- Providing the Department's services without regard to age, race, gender, disability, ethnicity, culture, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Hours of Operation:
Monday thru Friday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
myBenefits is the fast and easy way to find out about many health and human services programs and how to apply for them - anytime and anywhere.
Report Child Care Provider Payment Issues
"New York State of Health" the official Health Plan Marketplace is now open to assist you. Small businesses and consumers not eligible for Medicaid may inquire about health insurance in the following ways:
New York State:
Toll free phone: 1-855-355-5777