Through the Department of Social Services, childcare is provided not only to residents on temporary assistance, but also to working families who meet income guidelines for subsidies. Various kinds of childcare are available throughout Nassau County. To obtain more information, call the Application Unit at 516-571-5165.
Job Development Center
The Job Development Center is the unit of the Human Rights Commission devoted to assisting residents of the county to find employment. It is the aim of the Job Development Center to assist all residents, with emphasis on minority group members, in achieving this goal. The center also refers applicants to job training and alerts the community to upcoming civil service examinations and county job opportunities. The Job Development Center cooperates with the Office of Women's Services, Coordinated Agency for Spanish Americans (CASA), and the Office of Veterans' Affairs in providing services to county residents. Call 516-571-3553 or visit the office at: 1550 Franklin Avenue
Mineola, NY 11501
Learn more about senior employment and volunteering.
- Job Placement Service - The Nassau County Department of Senior Citizen Affairs offers a free employment service for Nassau County residents age 55 and over. Persons seeking employment receive assistance with resume preparation, interviewing skills, and job search techniques. Potential employees and employers may call 516-227-8945.
- Job Training Partnership Act (Workforce Investment Act) - Federally sponsored programs provide a wide range of services, including vocational assessment and counseling, job placement assistance, vocational skills training, and availability of resource facilities. For qualifications and further information:
- Residents of the Town of Oyster Bay, Town of North Hempstead, and the City of Glen Cove, contact Town of Oyster Bay One-Stop Employment System at 516-797-4560 or 516-873-5670.
- Residents of the Town of Hempstead and the City of Long Beach contact Town of Hempstead Department of Occupational Resources (DOOR) at 516-485-5000.
- New York State Job Service - Local offices offer employment opportunities and counseling to older persons. For more information, please call 516-938-9840.
- Senior Community Service Employment Program - The Nassau County Department of Senior Citizen Affairs contracts with Urban League of Long Island to operate an employment program which enables a limited number of economically disadvantaged persons, age 55 or older, to work 20 hours per week in public or private non-profit agencies. Contact Urban League of Long Island at 516-570-6645 or visit their offices: 50 Clinton St.
Hempstead, NY 11550
- Federal Office of Personnel Management - This site contains information for job seeking veterans, veterans currently employed by the federal government, and federal human resources specialists.
- Nassau Vets Program - This is a program to help Nassau County Veterans find employment and housing.
- New York State Department of Labor Veterans' Services - As a veteran, you can get a much-needed competitive edge in today's tough labor market by visiting a New York State Department of Labor office.
- U.S. Dept of Labor, New York Regional Solicitor's Office - The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) protect veterans, reservists, and other military personnel from discrimination in employment in the private sector. The office provides legal support to the veterans employment and training services, and litigates violations of this statute in U.S. District Court.