Veteran Services

Available Programs

As Nassau County Clerk, I am delighted to have the opportunity to not only offer programs that in a small way, will be a great benefit to you as a veteran, but to protect the sensitive records of veterans that are filed in this office. The programs include:

  • Free recording service of military discharges, known as DD-214
  • Veterans Peddler's License Program

Additional Service Programs

Veterans are also eligible for numerous other service programs here in Nassau County. Many require a DD-214 to be submitted to determine eligibility. For more information on all the services available to veterans within Nassau County, I suggest you contact the Nassau County Veterans Service Agency.


I have always been mindful of the need for tight security over the records filed in my office. This is especially important to you as a veteran when you file your DD-214 in this office. At your behest, these files are sealed and not available to the public. This is done to safeguard your information from the possibility of unwanted intrusion and identity theft.

On a personal note, please accept my heartfelt appreciation for the sacrifices that you made in the service of our country.

Military Discharge Recording Service

As a courtesy to the dedicated men and woman who served in our armed forces, the County Clerk will maintain your military (DD-214) discharge papers, and, upon request, will provide certified copies.

Discharge Papers

Very often veterans are required to submit DD-214 discharge papers when they apply for certain benefits. By filing your papers with the County Clerk, you are assured that a permanent record exists, at your disposal, if the original is misplaced, destroyed, or needed by you or under certain circumstances, your immediate family.

Certified Copies

At the time of recording, the office will provide you, the veteran, with two certified copies and return the original free of charge. A DD-214 can be filed at anytime after separation from the armed forces.

Veterans Peddler's License

Every honorably discharged member of the United States Armed Forces and their spouses are eligible to apply for a Veterans Peddler's License. This license provides veterans with the right to hawk, peddle, vend, and sell goods, wares, or merchandise, or solicit trade upon the streets and highways within Nassau County.

How to Apply

To apply, you must present a valid driver's license or photo identification, proof of residency for at least six months (a local utility bill can be used), and a copy of your DD-214 military discharge papers (additional copies cost $2.50). Licenses are issued free of charge and are valid as long as you maintain residency within the county. To get a license, you must appear in person and bring with you two passport photos.

Ordinance Compliance

In addition to obtaining a Veterans Peddler's License from the County Clerk, you will also be required to comply with village or town ordinances related to street peddling. Information can be obtained directly from the individual towns and villages in which the business will be conducted. For a listing, visit our Vital Records page


  1. Valid Photo ID
  2. Proof of Residency (6 month Minimum) 
  3. Discharge papers (original or certified copy) 
  4. Two- Passport Photos


  • Discharge Papers, Recording of (Free) 
  • Discharge Papers (additional copy)------$2.50
  • Veterans Peddler's License (Free)

Helpful Resources

Nassau County Veterans Service Agency
2201 Hempstead Turnpike
Building Q
East Meadow, NY 11554
Ph: 516-572-6560 / 506-572-6565  

Northport VA Medical Center
79 Middleville Road
Northport, NY 11768
Ph: 631-261-4400

Nassau County Veterans Court
99 Main St.
Hempstead, NY 11550
Ph: 516-493-4146

NYS Department of Labor
Division of Veterans Employment Services
301 W. Old Country Road
Hicksville, NY 11801
Ph: 516-934-8519 / 8531